Bouncing Oil Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bouncing Oil Pressure

Ever since I've put a mechanical gauge in this car, it has had low oil pressure. I figured since the motor is pretty nasty inside with 124K.

The other day I noticed my oil pressure at warm idle idle fluctuates. The needle bounces between 10 and 15psi. If you put a little load on the motor, it stabilizes. Is the gauge bad or is this normal with a worn motor?

Here is a video: Linky. It's about 3.5MB.

Also, I can be cruising at 55mph in OD on the gas and I'll have about 22 psi. I let off the gas and the oil pressure shoots up to 40psi. Back on the gas, it comes back down within 3 seconds to 22psi. It will do this all day if you wanted it to. Is this normal with a worn motor? In drive it doesn't do it as much, but there is still a little variance.

Ideas? Not that it really matters, I was just wondering. This motor is coming out this spring hopefully.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

yup worn bearings cause that. They'll run with much less pressure for a loong time. Not something to really worry about.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie
      Also, I can be cruising at 55mph in OD on the gas and I'll have about 22 psi. I let off the gas and the oil pressure shoots up to 40psi. Back on the gas, it comes back down within 3 seconds to 22psi. It will do this all day if you wanted it to. Is this normal with a worn motor? In drive it doesn't do it as much, but there is still a little variance.
      Perfect example of what happens when the mains are loose. Under coasting conditions, bearing pressures shoot up, so oil pressure increases. Even in an engine in good condition, you can see a slight difference (2-3 psi), but if you're going from 22-40, I'd say they're quite loose.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

mine bounces between 15 and 25 on my electric one
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Keep driving
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
            Keep driving
            I will .
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I had a yard vehicle at the junk yard,(I used to carry my toold and torches etc) with no oil pressure and it ran for months, the engine dident sound to helthy but it still ran,, the only reson it died was beacuse of an electrical problem,

Comment

keep driving

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                X