Blueprinting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blueprinting

I was looking in my Jegs catalog last night for kicks when I saw a book for "blueprinting" a motor.
    what does that mean?
    I've heard it before...
    is it expensive?

-Colin
    sigpic
    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Blue printing is when you check to make sure every single dimension on the block (Deck height, all bores, main bore diam, cam bore diam. etc.), Pistons, ring gaps, bearing clearances etc. every measurable dimension is checked to see if they are withing assembly and operating tolerances.

you usually hear balancing along with that. so when you are done with the whole process you have a short block you know its dimensionally correct and the pistons, rods, and crank are all going to spin in balance.

Comment

how much does it cost to do something like that?
      sigpic
      1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Also you will go through and weigh every piston and rod and make sure they all are the same wieght and take wieght off if needed. You can do a Spin balance and all that. Knife edging the crank...ect Like Jeff said its all making sure everything is in spec.

Its not cheap if you have a machine shop do it cause it takes time, but you can check and weigh things yourself if you have the scales, plastigage and measuring tools. Then take those measurements to the machine shop and have the block bored and honed, the mains line honed, blah blah... When you get it back, measure it all again before assembly, and make sure things are in spec when you torque everything down. The book will probably tell you about using bolt stretch when torquing instead of using a torque wrench.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
        My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Eric(88grandmarq) tells me it wouldn't be worth it on my motor because I won't be turning extremely high RPMs...
          so, I'll prolly won't bother...
          thanks for the info!
          sigpic
          1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Wouldn't blueprinting be worth it on amy motor you'd like to keep running? If the dimensions aren't within specs, doesn't that mean it will wear out faster?
            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Having it ballanced and better bolts in the rods and the rods checked for round ness and crank all check out would.
              Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

yea, that's what I figured...just make sure it's all good, but don't go crazy on it.
                sigpic
                1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Something i actualy knew something about allready got answeered )

To answeer your question though in Short lamins terms, Yes and no, ( if it's worth it) Are you planing on making a racing machine? If so then.... HELL YEA you need it... If not... Umm, no need to bother imo..

It will make a engine last for a looong time though...

Also if you have the money to buy the Eqipment to balance and blueprint... DONT forget to wear gloves ) one of my pet p's )

And yes it is very costly.. and should be done by someone who has done it before... CHeck you speed shops..

Also it should be done either if it's a crate engine or being rebuilt..

Heh, speaking of lasting a long time.. we had a 283 bored out rebuilt balanced and blue printed :-? just about evreything you could have done to that engine.. ( yea it's a cheby ) Well, end result that thing would scream like hell, and the car actualy would "Jump".... Any ways that was a whilllles back, 300k milles lator.. after it been resold about 4 times it's still floating around theese parts ) being driven the hell out of i might add..

Any ways, Kudos if you do, do it mang :-D But agine really no need unless you plan on making a hot rod :-D
                  People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

Working...
                  X