At least it shifts now....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least it shifts now....

But not into second until 40 MPH, into third at 60. I've had the TV rod adjusted all the way out, all the way in, no change. The bushing at the transmission rod has some play in it. Anyone know the number for the bushing? Anyone have other ideas to try to get the shift range more normal?
    "Owning a 9-second Import is like coming out of the closet.... At first it may be surprising, but in the end, you're still gay!"

www.myspace.com/nascarmechanic

does it go into overdrive?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I haven't had it that fast yet (only test driving on county roads) but I will try it out tomorrow
      "Owning a 9-second Import is like coming out of the closet.... At first it may be surprising, but in the end, you're still gay!"

Comment

The help section at a good auto parts place has the bushings dont rember the nnumber. Last time I needed one they didnt have the correct one but made one fit from a chrysler or such.
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

It DOES shift into Overdrive, but pops back out. Then goes in and out. I actually took the time to trace the rod down to the transmission and found that it is NOT what I adjusted yesterday. I'm not used to the older boxes anymore.... I am going to adjust the PROPER thing tomorrow after work tomorrow, but what other idea did you have Scott?

Comment

make sure the tv rod is hooked up to the throttle linkage on the cfi unit

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

It is and there is a red plastic bushing in the rod and it's all held on by a cotter pin. I have to get under the car tomorrow to adjust the rod at the transmission and hopefully that takes care of it. There isn't a vacuum modulator on these like the way older ones is there?

Comment

No vacuum modulator on AOD's.

The TV control pressure is almost certainly out of wack. It definitly wouldn't hurt to take it to a tranny shop and get them to check the pressure with a gauge. It's not nessarily the adjustment causing the problem. Is there any binding in the linkage that would be causing the rod not to return to it's beginning position? How about the return spring, is it there and operating properly? You also might want to check to see if there is any evidence of the rod being bent.

If the TV pressure is fine, you'll want to look into other areas. Was the tranny fluid pretty nasty? If so, it could have caused the governor to be sticking, or your valve body could have some sticking valves. Believe it or not, a valve body that is slightly loose from the transmission could be causing these problems. I know you've checked the fluid level, but I'll mention it for future reference of others.
                1990 Country Squire - under restoration
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I got under the car tonight and found that my little Brother never tightened the adjuster bolt on the TV Rod. After three adjustments (to get the right shift feel) it now shifts better than my 96 with the J-mod. What a pain in the arse to adjust that rod under the car. Glad it's done and shifting well!

Comment

Glad to hear you got it running right man.
                    Nick
                    88 Colony Park LS
                    G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                    Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Working...
                    X