Frozen door locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frozen door locks

The 83 in my Driveway has the same problem the 88 had. The door locks freeze up so even if left unlocked, the latches freeze making it a pain in the arse to get in the car. Why does this happen to the 79-91 cars? Any fixes (Lubes, sprays etc..) to cure this problem?
    "Owning a 9-second Import is like coming out of the closet.... At first it may be surprising, but in the end, you're still gay!"

www.myspace.com/nascarmechanic

For the key holes, Deep Creep lube works wonders. If it's the actual motors siezing up, (like what's happening on my '91 GM) you'll probably have to replace them. I'm not sure if there is a quick fix for the motors or not. Could just pull the motors and regain easy use of the locks, too.

Comment

I had the same problem with my 89 when I first got it none of the front locks would work so I just took the actulators out. try using deep creep lube it works great

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
      302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
      k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Buy new lock motors, the problem will go away. The motor condoms have probably broken and water has gotten into the motor. It lays on the bottom and freezes. Cant usually remove and re-install without breaking the brackets anyway, and cheapie china ones work decently. Just make sure the condom is snug and not leaking. A glob of grease where the lock rod goes into the actuator and a small zip tie at the top of the bootie wont hurt any either.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've had this problem ever since I bought mine. This year, I solved it. Right before our first freezing rain episode, I took the door panel off, and checked out the situation. During the next rain, what I found was that the back vertical window channel catches the rain water and drains down into the door. Well, it dumps the water right onto the latch mechanism. Then it freezes, then you can't get into the car. So, I wrapped the door latch mechanism with what could be called cold weather clear duct tape. It's in the foam weather stripping aisle at Home Depot or Lowes. It's a thick plastic backing, with sticky stuff rated to below freezing. So, now whatever water hits it, just drains right off and the mechanism stays nice and dry.
          Then, when we had our first ice storm, I drove my new used 4x4 truck and didn't have to worry about it anyways.. hehe. But, I did check it, and the door latch worked just fine.
          1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
          1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
          1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

i just fixed the old mans 88 wagon, his drivers door dident wanna open, so i soaked the sit out of the latch with WD-40(that is when i got the thing open, now it works great!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Working...
            X