Shift kit and Mustang governor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shift kit and Mustang governor?

In the TC I'm thinking of running a Transgo NoYoYo (SK-AOD) shift kit (not the performance version) shift kit and a Mustang governor, to pick up the shift points a little. How do you guys with more AOD experience feel about that? I don't want the performance kit because I'll be using the TC to flat tow my Samurai to the trails and back.

This work will be until I do the WR-AOD whenever I get the time and money, at which point I'll likely keep the SK-AOD kit and go back to a TC governor.

Opinions?
    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

I didnt use a trans-go (heard it wasnt the best) but i used a baumann kit. (i think they are cheaper anyway!) I bumped my shifts up 1,000 rpm. but chose not to install the mustang governor because it would have put my WOT shift up around 5,800-5,900 rpm... right at the RPM where the gt-40p stock valves begin to float. I liked the baumann kit, took about 2 hours from the time i dropped the pan to the time i was on the road again. just dont loose the check balls or you will be making a special trip to ford...

Comment

I got my NoYoYo for 15 bux if I remember correctly. I like it, cept I think I forgot to replace the old springs for 3rd or something, 2-3 doesn't have the umph that it should. Took about 2 days for me to do it, mostly because I was nervous and didn't know what the hell I was doing lol
      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffBoudah
        I didnt use a trans-go (heard it wasnt the best) but i used a baumann kit. (i think they are cheaper anyway!) I bumped my shifts up 1,000 rpm. but chose not to install the mustang governor because it would have put my WOT shift up around 5,800-5,900 rpm... right at the RPM where the gt-40p stock valves begin to float. I liked the baumann kit, took about 2 hours from the time i dropped the pan to the time i was on the road again. just dont loose the check balls or you will be making a special trip to ford...
        Baumann doesn't make a mild shift kit. Heh. I have a buddy with a Baumann kit and it works so well he keeps snapping input shafts. I installed the Transgo kit in my wagon ($50 shipped at the most) while it was still auto and I really liked the performance factor. In fact, I may pull the valvebody from that one and see if it's still good to put it in the TC- it only had maybe 500 miles on the kit.
        2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.

Comment

Also, what do you guys think about a stall converter while I'm in there? Nothing fancy, just a stock-size 2,000-2,600 stall converter? A local tranmission shop sells 'em for pretty cheap. Only thing is, I don't have first-hand experience with how they tow. I've read that tow guys like a taller stall because it allows for easier off-the-line towing, but I wouldn't know.

Anyone have suggestions?

Comment

It'll help the the engine spin up into the powerband a bit more before it begine to move, something that would be much help when towing.

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
            '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
            '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

That's what I was thinking. I want to maximize towing capability in the transmission because I fawking HATE automatic transmission problems (which is why I went T5 in the wagon). I'd really like to keep this one auto because the Samurai and the Insight are both manual and this one will be the long hauler when I go out of town.

Comment

What engine are you running? A lopo and an HO governor is big nono. A 2K stall and a shift kit is a good deal. If it's going on the GT40P motor, the mustang gov is fine.
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Itll be going in the 89 sig series TC I sold him.

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                  '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                  '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

It's in the 89 Sig Series, yes. IF it gets an HO conversion it's going to be a mild E7-based build with polished heads and intake. Still not sure on that, though. It's very tempting, considering all I need is a Mustang upper and 19#ers.

I'll avoid the new governor until the conversion takes place, if it does. The converter is advertised as 2,000-2,600 stall, so it should keep it low enough considering the mild engine set-up. I already have a date set for 1/20 to put it on the rollers, so I gotta get my shit together and get Justin up here so I can get a baseline.

Comment

The baumann kit has three settings for every shift. so yes the do have a mild shift kit...

Comment

Well, I know the Transgo kit ($40 shipped) at its strongest setting is right where I like it. I mean, dead on. So I'll stick with what I know.

You Baumann believers are all about those kits, I swear! ha!

Comment

The Transgo kit can be set differently, depends on what springs you decide to use and what size of holes you drill in the separator plates. In my tranny I set it to the hardest shifts, that and the maxed out TV pressure gives me an auto tranny with pretty much manual command - it shifts exactly when you "tell" it to, and you can definitely feel when it does so (both up and down), yet it doesn't chirp the tires at WOT (loss of traction = bad). Couldn't be happier really, with a pair of gasket-matched E7 heads and a set of 4.10s that car will haul some serious ass, lol

Comment

I'm keeping the stock 3.55/TL rear end. I'll likely upgrade it to disc rear to help the stopping force, but for better acceleration I'll go with a wide ratio AOD... but that'll probably be later next year before I really start getting into that.

Comment

I'm looking at ordering the Baumann kit and pressure valve replacement, now. A local friend was really pushing the Baumann and I looked it up... the kit is only $20 more expensive and he says he's ran both and really likes the Baumann performance for both daily driving and racing. I didn't realize they're so reasonably priced or I'd have considered it sooner.

Thanks for all the advice so far and I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X