Surging while driving and coasting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darkknight
    Gadget, by chance how do you fix that stuff :-D I think that might be whats wrong with mine bangs around down there and gets under powered...

Sorry to jack the tread just got a bit excited to hear what might be wrong with mine :-P
    You can't. If you read the owner's manual, it actually makes mention of this and says its normal. Its not real excessive but coasting when in OD, you'll feel it. It doesn't affect how the car runs, if you have banging and other stuff going on, there are more serious problems than normal transmission operation. Essentially when you coast in OD, it feels like a stick shift car coasting in high gear, the overdrive gear is direct coupled to the engine, with no torque converter slippage to soften it up.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN
      2150 2bbl, I believe?

Yeah, it was a big mistake, shoulda gone with a 4bbl lol
      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Would a stock Motorcraft 4bbl be better than the carb you have on there now?
        88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
        Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
          You can't. If you read the owner's manual, it actually makes mention of this and says its normal. Its not real excessive but coasting when in OD, you'll feel it. It doesn't affect how the car runs, if you have banging and other stuff going on, there are more serious problems than normal transmission operation. Essentially when you coast in OD, it feels like a stick shift car coasting in high gear, the overdrive gear is direct coupled to the engine, with no torque converter slippage to soften it up.

Demn... :-? might be getting time then for me to seriosley start looking for another vic, or... Buy a new engine trany for this one?

Ima still keep an eye out though for what all will make banging noises down there.. Closest thing ive herd of something doing that was the uni joints coming apart in the rear. and actualy bang back there..

:-? Might be slipping trany though Im thinking..

Anyways agine sorry for hijacking the tread sorta.. Just kinda got ex Cited about finding out something )

D.K.

O and thanks Gadget :-D
          People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic
            Would a stock Motorcraft 4bbl be better than the carb you have on there now?
            yeah it would if he can rebuild one or get one cheap.....I would just go with a holley or a edelbrock carb.
            YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

I'm done with the OEM carb bull

GL's getting an Edelbrock 500 and a Summit stage 1 intake
              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

ooooooh hot rod lincoln!
                YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Working...
                X