Surging while driving and coasting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surging while driving and coasting

Just to add to all the other shit that has been going wrong with GL lately. The engine is starting to surge, I can feel it while driving, it's really noticeable while coasting though. I want to fix it for now, but I've had enough of this carburator bullshit. I'm gonna start pricing EFI shit to swap in. The plugs and wires don't have that many miles on them (I've put maybe 5,000 miles on GL since I did the carb swap) so could it be a carb or electrical problem or something?
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

hmm, while coasting? Does it by chance stop if you put it in D or shift to N ? Could be maybe the lockup in the trans makes it feel like something is wrong. If its the lockup torque converter, and you have a bad trans mount, it will float and bang around, causing some strange feeling stuff. Under power, hard to say without knowing more. Does this happen at cruise, or under acceleration or what?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You can feel it when you're cruising, but it's more pronounced when I'm coasting though. I have noticed lately that when I'm at a stoplight, the engine likes to wander around a little bit, I can see the tach needle move up and down some. Also, sometimes even when the engine is completely warmed up, and I stop at a stoplight, the engine tries to die or runs like shit. I have to put it in neutral and rev it up to keep it running. But it doesn't do it all the time, other times in the morning it runs great. I don't understand the inconsistancy here.
      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

LOL, pricing EFI? Fix the damn carb. You do not want to deal with trying to get an EFI to run right and trace problems....

I've replaced everything on my car and it still doesn't come close to running decently. Misses, bucks, surges.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

FUCK carb lol

If I'm gonna get anything, it's gonna be Holley ProJection
          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250

Comment

we don't seem to have any problems *knock on wood* with EFI but my jeep stumbles and wonders around like that and its all because of the carb stupid motercraft carb not working right...
            YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Carbs and EFI can run just as fucked up. Trust me, I've seen some horrible running carb engines just as much as I've seen horrible running EFI engines. Carbs are more picky about maintenance though, neglected EFI isn't quite so bitchy as a neglected carb.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You can tune a carb yourself, as opposed to not being able to tune an EFI system yourself without proper equipment. Am I right or wrong?
                88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

I just have to Buy a compleatly new carb.

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic
                    You can tune a carb yourself, as opposed to not being able to tune an EFI system yourself without proper equipment. Am I right or wrong?
                    Mostly true, but it still needs a few things and knowlege. It also depends on everything else working properly. You can be a god with a carb, but if the carb is shot, its just going to run like crap untill its repaired or replaced. Emissions stuff on a carb motor can also be a disaster. Half the time its broken, missing, improperly removed, or has any number of other problems to deal with, and that can really play havoc. The work truck at the marina I used to work at had butchered smog controls, and it would backfire and shoot fireballs out of the tailpipe. I ripped all the parts off, and it stopped running retarded.

Comment

Holley double pumper 750 for my jeep........I wish

Comment

Unneccesary. Unless its a big displacement motor with a fair amount of cam and head work, it wont need that much. A stock 460 can be fed properly with a 650 cfm carb. Big carb on a stock motor just wastes fuel, it does not produce any more power.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
                          hmm, while coasting? Does it by chance stop if you put it in D or shift to N ? Could be maybe the lockup in the trans makes it feel like something is wrong. If its the lockup torque converter, and you have a bad trans mount, it will float and bang around, causing some strange feeling stuff. Under power, hard to say without knowing more. Does this happen at cruise, or under acceleration or what?

Gadget, by chance how do you fix that stuff :-D I think that might be whats wrong with mine bangs around down there and gets under powered...

Sorry to jack the tread just got a bit excited to hear what might be wrong with mine :-P
                          People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

What carb is on GL?

Comment

2150 2bbl, I believe?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                              1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                              But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Working...
                              X