Cleveland motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleveland motor

I finally found one in decent shape. Gonna give the guy $500 for it.

What mods would you do? (stroke/cam/porting?)

EFI? Carb? I'm thinking carb. But how difficult is it to convert from EFI to carb regarding the computer and the information center?

Also, what transmissions will the Cleveland bolt up to without an adaper plate? Or is it the same as the Windsor?

We're gonna pull it out of a 77 F100 4x4 truck in the spring.

Thanks for the help guys!:megadeth:
    Project \"Fire and Ice\":

1989 LTC

My worst enemies are those who presume me to be harmless. They cannot imagine how much I resent and disdain them, or just how great a threat they would face if I could get at them. Everything in their behavior speaks of insult and presumptuousness, and for now it is all I can do to make constructive use of my anger toward them. At this time, I just make a list of them and keep a watch on. Some day, with the help of time, space, and circumstance, I will be able to humiliate them properly - not in a manner they would enjoy, but in a style calculated to make them wish that they had never been born.

Anton Szandor LaVey

Just an idea! what about an old school shaker scoop from a mustang to go with that Cleavland?
    YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

A Cleveland uses the small block bolt pattern for the transmission.

i dont think that there are any EFI set ups for the Cleveland. If they are they are gonna be very expensive. I guess you could run a holley pro-jection type set up, or modify a carb'd intake to run EFI
      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Are you shure its a C motor or is it a 351 or 400 M the differance is the bell housing and deck height as wwell as the internals. The modifiedss take the 460 429 bell housing C motors tat the SBF stuff but might have the bigger flex plate. 174 teeth or somethig like that.
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Gonna drop the 351C into Fire and Ice? Make a screamer out of it. I'd say 4bbl carb, port job, hotter cam, and add a 2.5" dual exhaust if you don't already have one. And while you're at it, 3.73 trac-lock, rear disks, stiffer shocks/springs. Have fun.
          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Why are you going from EFI to Carb?????!!?? Efi, tru my studing is aparentley the better one averall., whille as CFI vs Carb... I gots to do a carb swap :-(
            People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

are you sure it's a cleveland? they stopped making clevelands in 1974......it was never used in a truck...the 351c has the small block bolt pattern........they did use the 351m/400 in trucks, the block is wider and they use the big block bellhousing

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Yeah, what he said.

If by chance it really is a C that was transplated in to the truck, is it a 2v or 4v motor? The heads are different. 4v motors have huge valves and intake runners.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Check the casting numbers.
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

A four valve 351C would be BADASS
                    YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Originally posted by capridrifter
                      A four valve 351C would be BADASS
                      2V OR 4V stands for the carberation not the number of valves.

Comment

I thought they made the Cleveland from 74-78? We pulled off one of the valve covers and it had the canted valves. Dude said it was a 351. Didn't know which one, though.

Yeah, I'd like to go with a carb setup. Justs seems like it would be easier to tune.

Edit:
                        Scott, you were right. The Cleveland motor was from '70-'74. He said the motor may not be original but now he doesn't know. What engine is in a 77 F-100 4x4 with canted valved heads?

1989 LTC

My worst enemies are those who presume me to be harmless. They cannot imagine how much I resent and disdain them, or just how great a threat they would face if I could get at them. Everything in their behavior speaks of insult and presumptuousness, and for now it is all I can do to make constructive use of my anger toward them. At this time, I just make a list of them and keep a watch on. Some day, with the help of time, space, and circumstance, I will be able to humiliate them properly - not in a manner they would enjoy, but in a style calculated to make them wish that they had never been born.

Anton Szandor LaVey

Comment

Its probably a 351 or 400M. I have a 400M in my 78 F150.

Comment

Look at the intake manifold casting numbers. You mentioned that you had a valve cover off. The head casting date is between the valves under the valve cover. Look in the front corners of the heads if you see a 2 then they are 351C 2V heads. Some M motors have M cast there. 400s are bare. Most 351M heads are bare.
                            You can use any 302 FI intake on a Cleveland 2V or 4V. Price Motorsports makes the adapter intake.
                            Look at the distributor. If there is a ledge going up to the front of the intake then it is a 351M/400 motor. The 351C distributor is more level with the intake. If you look across the back of the motor and measure the distance between the 2 bolts it will be obvious whether it is a 351C or not. The 351C has the same bell pattern as your 302.

Comment

Well, I'll check next time I get down there in the light. If it's 351M/400, I'm not going to mess with it. A 10.3" deck height is way too much motor for Fire And Ice.

1989 LTC

Anton Szandor LaVey

Comment

Working...
                              X