future plans for the '91 GM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

future plans for the '91 GM

Sometimes I get ideas in my head ..... My mom loves her '91 GM, but loves S.U.'s abilities more. If my job lasts and I'm able to make some money, I'm planning on doing some improvements to suprise my mom next summer.

1. Stereo system. Since my mom is a rocker and loves loud music, I'll go with a similar system to mine. Pioneer deck, 6.5" door, 6"x9" back, cheap Wal-mart sub in trunk, and all new wiring. Total cost should be less than $350.

2. Gauge installation. The car needs gauges. At least an oil pressure and voltmeter. Will probably just leave the factory temp. Total cost should be less than $100.

3. Suspension. Maybe a set of new KYB GR-2's for the front. Needs new air shocks in back. As much as I hate air shocks, I will replace the old ones with a new set instead of regulars. Not sure if I'm going to do any of the springs or not. The car doesn't really sag in the rear. Total cost should be under $200.

4. Tires. Come next spring, I'll have to pick up two more tires and the '91 will finally have a new set all around. National XT4000's. Just put 'em on front this fall and they work great. Total cost should be under $200.

5. H.O. conversion. Mild upgrade. Exhaust is staying the same (single with glasspack), no headers, no heads. Would give me a chance to do the timing chain and water pump. Probably advance the timing 4 deg. since it works so well for S.U. Total cost should be under $1000.

As of now, I'm not touching the gears, even though I have a set of 3.27's setting around. You're also probably thinking "why the heck aren't you upgrading the CV instead?". Well, I owe my mom, big time. She loves her car and I know what improvements she would like done to it. I also really like the '91 (I plan on owning it someday). I have no plans on upgrading the CV other than general stuff and maintenance.

give mom dual exhaust.......single exhaust is a huge drawback......even a e6 head ho needs dual exhaust .....the manifolds will be ok and the stock convertor, just in my opinion needs true dual exhaust.....parts arent that much and it's an easy bolt on conversion

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Dual Exhaust-ftw. Your Mom will thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania
        give mom dual exhaust.......single exhaust is a huge drawback......even a e6 head ho needs dual exhaust .....the manifolds will be ok and the stock convertor, just in my opinion needs true dual exhaust.....parts arent that much and it's an easy bolt on conversion
        You're right. I already have the old H-pipe from S.U.'s cat-back duals (it's just a little banged up). All I'd need are a glasspack, tailpipe, and clamps.

Comment

stock exhaust = poop.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ditto ........side pipes ...no muffs she will feel like a teenager all over againlol
            YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

eh, side pipes look like ass on a 4 door, I had them and they looked like shit lol
              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

but the sound........your not looking at the side of the car as your driving........er...i hope not

Comment

Have to get out of the car eventually and look at it. I'm not a fan of big visible exhaust. Mine is pretty much hidden, which is just fine for my likes.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Side pipes or side exits? There is a difference, the problem with true side pipes is that they'll hang way too low, with stock springs in the front really forget about going over tall speedbumps. Side exits on the other hand look great on 2-doors, you can make them look alright on a 4-door too but then you have to give it more appearance changes - lower the front an inch or so, jack the rear up the same amount, wider tires... IMHO not worthy unless you are replacing the old parts anyways.

On the HO conversion, $1000 is awfully a lot of money, for that much you can rebuild the whole engine! Also what are those 4* advance, cam advance through the chain or ignition advance through the disty?

Comment

Cam advance via the timing set. It moves the power band downward a bit, sacrificing some top end. The loss of the top end is pretty insignificant on an auto trans car that wont wind it up high enough for you to ever notice it. Need that low end torque a lot more than the couple ponies up top that you lose.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
                        Cam advance via the timing set. It moves the power band downward a bit, sacrificing some top end. The loss of the top end is pretty insignificant on an auto trans car that wont wind it up high enough for you to ever notice it. Need that low end torque a lot more than the couple ponies up top that you lose.
                        +1. I don't get why some people put in big cams into their auto trans cars that they won't be racing so they'll have a little more power in the high RPM range, it's pointless. I'll take my torque and horses in the low end.
                        88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                        Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

isnt there a towing cam for trucks with a 302?

Comment

Look at this page: http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294887637 These are all the camshafts that work with the 302 Windsor. You can choose the usage or duration or whatever you're lookin for.
                            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by MeLikeyStripperChicks
                              On the HO conversion, $1000 is awfully a lot of money, for that much you can rebuild the whole engine! Also what are those 4* advance, cam advance through the chain or ignition advance through the disty?
                              I like to put my initial estimates high so I have a little back-up money on hand should I find something bad along the way.

Side pipes will not happen on the '91. I am one of those who likes the exhaust out of sight. She also doesn't want the car too loud, but I think she'll like cat-back duals w/glasspacks just fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X