Dave84's Engine Build Thread!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave84's Engine Build Thread!!

Ok, hears what i have got so far, 1985 5.0 truck block with pistons and crank, and it had its stock heads, I am going to build this engine and hopefuly put it in next year,
    Things I have done so far,,,
    *replace oil pump so i can put my new oil pan on(insted of the truck pan)
    *pulled old head's off (pistons only have small noches for valve clearence, Higer compression??)
    Stuff i have for the engine
    * 351 W heads casting # D0OE-C (Pedistal rocker mounts)
    * H.O Headers
    * Double Rollar timming chain
    * Brand new oil pan (car style)
    * Distributor
    Things I need for the engine
    * H.O cam and rollar lifter's
    * Rollar rockers
    * 4 BBL intake and carb
    Things i am going to do
    * Port the heads,
    * Do a valve job
    Will add more and have pics in a bit

Sounds like it's going to be a good build

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Those D0 heads do not have hardened valve seats. If used as a daily driver on todays unleaded pump gas, hardened seats will have to be installed.

Also, not too sure about that factory roller cam in a flat tappet block.
      Speed cost....how fast u wanna go??

It's not how much hp u have...
      It's how much hp u can put to the track...

Let's seperate the men from the boys and put that power to the track using street tires and stock suspension components

'Tis infinately better to sit quietly and be thought a fool,
      than to speak and remove all doubt.

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Comment

could i put lead additive in insted of changing the seat? beacuse the seats are in nice shape..

Comment

Originally posted by SLYDAWG
          Those D0 heads do not have hardened valve seats. If used as a daily driver on todays unleaded pump gas, hardened seats will have to be installed.

Also, not too sure about that factory roller cam in a flat tappet block.
          The lifter bores in that block are too short for the factory roller lifters. The lifters will either fall out of the bore or you will have oiling problems. Also the valley won't have the. Nubs that need to be drilled and tapped to hold the spider.
          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Well, maybe. Some 85 motors have the taller lifter bores to accommodate roller lifters, some do not. Truck motors probably don't. All 86 and newer engines are roller motors though. If its flat tappet, you might be left with either an 85 HO cam or some after market cam. Can you get a pic of the lifter galley?
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

As gadget said, you COULD be lucky and its a roller capable block, OR, it could have the bosses in the valley for the spider tray, just not drilled and tapped. I believe that block is too new to be like an early block with the short lifter bores.

If it DOES have the short lifter bores, a set of Crane link-bar lifters and away you go, as you can run any of the "late model" Hydraulic roller cams using those lifters.

Those heads are going to need some attention as mentioned above as well. New valve springs AT LEAST, and if they don't have hardened valve seats, getting some installed would be a good idea as SLYDAWG mentioned, though you COULD run them, its not like they are going to wear out overnight.
              1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

Working...
              X