OK, the time has come!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Land Yacht
    No, I'm not doing the porting, I'm not that good.
    Turbo has buddy that does head porting.
    do you think the B303 Cam would be a better choice? I had thoughts about putting that cam in...

Your going to shoot your self in the foot with a edelbrock carb and a dual plane intake such as the performer might as well have left the heads stock.Figure mabe 350 HP max. If you dont do things the way Gerry or I have stated dont bitch about your performance.
    Last edited by turbo2256b; 12-20-2006, 05:48 PM.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by OVERKILL
      Just some info from Panhandle performance:

Victor Jr. Flows on average (for a 302/289) 260-295 out of the box.

Weiand Stealth flows ~260CFM (balanced)

Performer RPM airgap flows ~260CFM (balanced)

Performer RPM flows ~255CFM (balanced)

I could dig up some out of the box flow numbers for them, but they are going to AVERAGE somewhere well over 200CFM (probably 230-ish for the low numbers) even given the flow rift between the max/min flowing ports on them............

Just for reference, there are lots of guys running TFS TW's, Eddies and even AFR's with some of the above intakes with great results.

Where did you get your flow numbers?
      Numberas from my friends flow bench and intake bolted to 351W 69 head flowing 235 CFM. So numbers would be higher than a stock head.

Performer was around 150 to 160 CFM on bench Ford

Performer RPM guessing around 170 Ford

Torqer II on bench for chevy around 200 on a PORTED TRACK I head ...Ford would be about the same

VrJr on same 351 head 208 worst runner

Blue oval dual quad intake 160 to 175 out of the box on same 351 head.
      dual quad ported 205 to 208.

Comment

My 84 Mustag with mild port work same heads as the quad motor before major port work and a victor Jr with 3.08 gears T5 trans turned 12.2 quarters on street tires. Used to beat up on aluminum headed low geared mustangs.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b
          My 84 Mustag with mild port work same heads as the quad motor before major port work and a victor Jr with 3.08 gears T5 trans turned 12.2 quarters on street tires. Used to beat up on aluminum headed low geared mustangs.
          True, but your '84 is light, like my '82, Jay Allen has gone 11.19 with stock GT40 irons in his car, which is a '90 notch. A LOT of it has to do with driver, and I know I'm not as good a driver at the track as Jay is. Mine should be easily 11-second capable...........Will it get there with me driving? God only knows.
          1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

Numberas from my friends flow bench and intake bolted to 351W 69 head flowing 235 CFM. So numbers would be higher than a stock head.

Performer was around 150 to 160 CFM on bench Ford

Performer RPM guessing around 170 Ford

Torqer II on bench for chevy around 200 on a PORTED TRACK I head ...Ford would be about the same

VrJr on same 351 head 208 worst runner

Blue oval dual quad intake 160 to 175 out of the box on same 351 head.
            dual quad ported 205 to 208.
            What brand is your friend's flow bench? The reason I ask is that your numbers are COMPLETELY different from what Panhandle performance states. Are you guys testing in 28" of water or how about are you measuring?
            1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

our flow bench is home made and very accurate and sesitive compaired to manufactured ones. We flow at 28 inches. The numbers you have posted for intakes sound more like there being flowed by them selves not attached to a cylinder head.

Comment

our flow bench is home made and very accurate and sesitive compaired to manufactured ones. We flow at 28 inches. The numbers you have posted for intakes sound more like there being flowed by them selves not attached to a cylinder head.
                Correct, that would be per runner flow, intake only. Do you use a pipe or not?

Comment

True, but your '84 is light, like my '82, Jay Allen has gone 11.19 with stock GT40 irons in his car, which is a '90 notch. A LOT of it has to do with driver, and I know I'm not as good a driver at the track as Jay is. Mine should be easily 11-second capable...........Will it get there with me driving? God only knows.
                  Iwas running BFG 265 14s, 3.08 gears, long tube headers, full exhaust. With tires open headers gears 11 s would have bee atainable. Pulled 370 HP in this form at 5800 RPM.

Comment

Correct, that would be per runner flow, intake only. Do you use a pipe or not?
                    Not usually but on the exhaust some times setting up headss we havent done before we also blow thru the exhaust pull air through the intake side. Have also seen claims of high flow in particulr remember a ricerr head we were getting 260 finay 280 out of the guy was bitching some on e in CAL was pulling 600 CFM we contacted the guy in CAL he had like a 5000.00 parabolic air horn over the inlet.

Comment

Not usually but on the exhaust some times setting up headss we havent done before we also blow thru the exhaust pull air through the intake side. Have also seen claims of high flow in particulr remember a ricerr head we were getting 260 finay 280 out of the guy was bitching some on e in CAL was pulling 600 CFM we contacted the guy in CAL he had like a 5000.00 parabolic air horn over the inlet.

HAHAHHAHAHHAH WOW!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT
                        Adjustable oil pump? Interesting...
                        Here's the one I'm running. The pressure relief is is adjustable instead of just being plugged like it is on normal pumps. The shaft extends into the cover for a little extra strength too.

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                        '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                        '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

hmm..for $48, maybe I'll get it.
                          sigpic
                          1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

If you do use that one, you might wanna think about getting a larger capacity pan if you're going to race it or spin it up alot

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                            '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                            '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Land Yacht
                              No, I'm not doing the porting, I'm not that good.
                              Turbo has buddy that does head porting.
                              do you think the B303 Cam would be a better choice? I had thoughts about putting that cam in...
                              Is the car a daily driver? This is really what is going to dictate what route you go. My TC is my DD, so, I wouldn't want a cam that makes very little torque, especially given the stock gears. That would be the same reason that I wouldn't go with a single plane intake in the same situation.

If the car was a primarily track car/stoplight racer, then yeah, lots of gear, bigger cam, and a single plane would make the car the fastest. Gas mileage would suck, and it would rev on the highway.

If the car was a primarily STREET car with the occasional blast down the 1/4, then I'd recommend getting the RPM air gap (local machine shop guy likes them for mid-level engine builds with aftermarket heads), which I have personally experienced the difference between on an SBC with World Sportsman II heads and a decent sized Comp cam compared to a Torquer II. The Torquer made more top end (albeit, not much more) but the RPM was a LOT more fun to drive because there was so much torque EVERYWHERE in the RPM range, and that is with a 3.73 gear out back.

It is OK to compromise a little on the HP numbers if you are going to make substantially more torque.

Many people concentrate on the peaks, peak torque, peak HP, but you are only at those peaks for a VERY short period of time. Area under the curve is MUCH more important, because that's what you are driving with most of the time and having a fat area under the curve vs a crappy curve but high peaks, well, the setup wit the fat curve will be a lot more FUN to drive.

You need to think where you want to go with this.

Oh, and I dislike the Edelbrock/Carter carbs. They were great in the '70's on Mopar marine engines I'm sure, but a Holley, IMHO, is a better choice for a car.

If the car is a DD, I think the HO cam with some 1.7's is your best route........

Comment

yep...going to be a daily driver for a while...
                                I might get some cheap car to drive around in the bad months.
                                sigpic
                                1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                                X