No announcement yet.

351 windsor heads higher compression?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 40s were designed off the old 351s the exhaust was standard old 302 stuff from the late 60s the exhaust was designed off the 260 and 289 HI PO. If you research it many of the older heads flowed better than the newer stuff. 240 6s FLOWED BETTER THAN 300S. The cobra jet 428 were actually old 390 HiPo stuff with a different combustion chamber and chromed valve stems. The Clevland heads were a design from the BBC. The older 170s had the best air flow.

I used Ideas softwere. Designed engines for Ford for 16 years. For about 8 of those years it was fun then something happened. A lot of my friends retired early for that reason.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I think perhaps there is getting some debate of head flow potential vs what they do stock. Out of the box, the gt40p might do better, but I think what Turbo is saying is that with work, the standard gt40 can be made to out do the p head.

I have a set of those D0Oe heads and I decided after a fair amount of thought to not have them rebuilt because I didn't want to deal with those big stupid spark plugs. I also didn't want to have to worry about the seats failing, or how much work was going to be involved with getting them back to useful. I ended up having a set of E7 heads done up. They might not be able to do quite the amount of flow the 351 or even a gt40 head could do, but they're good enough and from a financial standpoint, for me it was a good choice. Its all in what you want to do and what you can afford. Yeah, I could have gotten something far better than what I went with, but the amount of money that it would cost me would not be practical, nor would it have really been necessary. Stock motors don't need crazy expensive custom heads.

My opinion on all this, if you want a stock casting ported for work, an E7, D0, or GT40 head are all great heads to have worked. If you want to bolt it on and boogie with no work, go with a P or GT40 head. The others aren't that hot in stock form. The 351 head is probably marginally better than E7 heads stock for stock, but they're not a super big deal in stock form. They do have potential tho. I did all this research and opinion collecting when I was going to do the very same thing, and thats what people far more experienced than I told me.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Actually, out of the box, the 351 heads flow substantially better on the intake side than the E7's, almost comparable to the GT40's.......... its the exhaust side that sucks.
        1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

Originally posted by OVERKILL
          Actually, out of the box, the 351 heads flow substantially better on the intake side than the E7's, almost comparable to the GT40's.......... its the exhaust side that sucks.
          I'm no expert or anything but isn't the exhaust the one you want to flow better..to create a sort of vacuum in the combustion chamber so the fuel and air mixture are sucked in better? or something like that?
          YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b
            pORTED THEY FLOW THE SAME AS E7s.
            Intake Flow @ 28" H20
            .100" .200" .300" .400" .500"
            GT-40P 61 128 169 195 196
            GT-40 54 107 157 183 192
            E7TE 59 114 144 156 156

Exhaust Flow @ 28" H20
            .100" .200" .300" .400" .500"
            GT-40P 52 90 123 135 139
            GT-40 47 94 119 128 128
            E7TE 42 78 105 115 116

Oh really?

Comment

He said ported. Those look like stock numbers.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yes as in PORTED gt-40p's flow as much as STOCK e7's (thats how i read that)
                Don't see how when the p's rape E7's in stock form.

Comment

I think he meant ported e7 flows as much as a stock gt40. No way you can port a gt40 and make it flow as much as an e7 unless you're adding material to make it flow badly. Stock gt40 is way better flow than stock e7. You'd have to go backwards to make a gt40 flow what a stock e7 does.

Comment

Working...
                  X