Fuel Pump Insanity!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Pump Insanity!

I'm going absolutely batshit over here dealing with a fuel pump problem that makes absolutley no sense. My '87 Grand Marq was starting hard for awhile and after a bit would only start by spraying starter fluid down the air intake. Then last week it just would not continue running, no matter what. I no longer heard the fuel pump engage when I turned the key and figured it had gone bad. <p>
    After pulling the tank and removing the pump, I tested it by touching it to the battery terminals. Gas shot all over the place - the pump was fine! I replaced it with a new one anyway since I had it out. Before I did so, I checked the voltage at the plug to the pump - it was fine, and I verified that the voltage went to 12V when the ignition key switched. I plugged the pump in and actually checked he the voltage at the leads to the pump - still okay. Wired it up, turned it on, nothing. How the hell can I have voltage going to a known good pump, but no action at the pump? I've tried the fuel pump relay - it's closing just fine. No idea what could be wrong.
    Strike steel and call forth sparks.
    Strike a man and call forth fury.
    Whatever you would shape, man or steel,
    Thou must strike with force.

When you plugged in the fuel pump at the tank did you make sure the connections were real good and clean?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Have you replaced your fuel filter? And made sure that none of the lines are clogged. I've hear of an old fuel filters disintegrating and letting chunks of rubber go into the fuel line.

Comment

Bad relay, bad connection . Take the relay out and put a jumper in it's place. See if it works. I would also suggest changing the fuel filter also.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I'm with mike and john change that fuel filter at least

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
          302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
          k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

My vote is on the relay or the wiring at the tank. Possibly one of the wires has a crack near the plug, and when the tank is actually in place, it looses connection.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The wiring to the relay on my '87 was loose and it gave you symtoms. Try playing with the wiring around the fuel pump relay while the switch is on to see if you suddenly hear the fuel pump pressurize the system.
              1990 Country Squire - under restoration
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

is the fuel pump relay near the eec test connector?

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Yes, there aree 3 relay's on the drivers side, it's in a bracket.
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
                  X