5.0 Lopo timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.0 Lopo timing

Hey guys well its time to take out the 89GM back out for the winter beater. It runs awsome but suffers from the Lopo Sympton = No balls!. I was wondering what you guys have your timing set at. I was thinking of advancing it a few degree's for a few more pony's
    1999 CVPI
    Old Rides
    1988 Ford Mustang GT (trickflow stage 1)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (5.SLO)
    1989 Ford Thunderbird SC (3.8 Supacharged)

I run my HO on 87octane and have it set at 15*

You can bump it up a bit, just make sure it isn't detonating.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
      I run my HO on 87octane and have it set at 15*

You can bump it up a bit, just make sure it isn't detonating.
      at 15degrees on 87? Whattttttt.

In my stang to run 15degree's i run 93oct. alot of people have a hard time running anything over 14degrees with 93oct on a HO
      1999 CVPI
      Old Rides

Comment

I ran 18-22 on my 87 with an HO conversion and 93 octane.

I think Scott is also running 15 on his TC. Heads and compression have a large effect on the amount of timing you can run.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
          I ran 18-22 on my 87 with an HO conversion and 93 octane.

I think Scott is also running 15 on his TC. Heads and compression have a large effect on the amount of timing you can run.
          Well do you have stock heads and cam?
          I do. maybe ill try to push it up a little more on the stang.
          1999 CVPI
          Old Rides

Comment

Stock heads for a 96 explorer, aftermarket cam. The old car had stock cam and massaged D9 heads. Timing is a test and tune deal. Every car will be different. Crank it up, drive it, see if it detonates, see how it runs, bump it up more. I ran the stock lopo around 14-15 too IIRC.

Comment

I run 10 on my HO and it will ping if I hold the throttle long enough. 12 and it sounds like a can of marbles. Like mrltd said, every motor will be different.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I run 16* in the 85. Id normally run 87 octane, but when i spray i run 93. I really should back the timing down to 14* so i dont melt a piston or two.
                http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

when the towncar had the lopo, i had the timing at 14 deg...ran it on 87 and i installed a 180 deg thermostat so it wouldnt run so hot in traffic with the ac on
                  if the car doesent have dual exhaust, theres your lack of balls problem

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

HAH yea single exhaust it is
                    1999 CVPI
                    Old Rides

Comment

stock exhaust, especially stock single exhaust is horrible. Stock duals with better mufflers is a big improvement over the grandma muffler.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Stock single with an upgraded muffler is even way better.

Comment

Are we talking about just a cat-back exhaust or a complete exhaust including headers?

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                          Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
                          5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

The stock dual exhaust is a cat back system. The Y pipe unbolts and the H pipe goes in place. Its better than the single. If you really want better, replace the whole darn thing from the engine backward and use headers, but on a budget, stock dual tails, the stock H, and aftermarket mufflers are probably your cheapest and easiest upgrade.

Comment

when the towncar had the lopo, i had the timing at 14 deg...ran it on 87 and i installed a 180 deg thermostat so it wouldnt run so hot in traffic with the ac on
                              if the car doesent have dual exhaust, theres your lack of balls problem
                              QFT!!! my stock lopo merc was set at 14 degrees running on 87 octane for a while with a single exhaust... it was a little better but then scott got ahold of it, lol he installed a full exhaust, headers to tail pipes with an h-pipe.... what a difference!!! when the single exhaust was on the car i couldn't linelock for shit on the stock tires! now i'm running 255/65/16's and it linelocks like i don't have rear brakes, lol

nick

Comment

Working...
                              X