car problems/questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

car problems/questions...

first off, when i am driving Deuce, when i come to a stop or slow down, the engine light comes on. it kid of flickers. as soon as i start pressing the gas pedal, the light shuts off. any ideas as to why this happens? second, when i am driving the car it has plenty of power, but the car acts like it doesnt want to go over 85mph and when it does it takes forever. i can be cruising at 65mph, and when i stomp on it, it will jump and go but act like it cant hit over that. the motor is wound up and just wont go like my 4 door does. the transmission acts fine and shifts thru all the gears. any ideas as to why Deuce dont wanna go?
    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

The engine light is probably the oil pressure low.

If the oil pressure is low, the engine isn't too healthy, and that's probably why is doesn't run as well. The gearing in the rear end could different, too.
    1990 Country Squire - under restoration
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

if it was low oil pressure wouldnt it be the oil light on instead?

Comment

Im not sure, and might be wrong but i think that the oil light usualy comes on if. your low on oil. and the engine light comes on if not enough Pressure...

But i might be dead wrong..
        People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

Darknight, you have the right idea. The "oil" light comes on when the oil level is low in the oil pan. The "Engine" light comes on if A.) the car is running hot, or B.) The oil pressure is low.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

i know that the timing chain cover is leaking and i think the pan is also. i got a quote fom he dealer and they said $360 for labor. i have all the parts for them to install. do you think that could cause the oil pressure to be low? or would that have someting to do w/ the oil pump? the motor has no knocking or ticking. i am thinking that the TV cable needs adjusted is the reason for the speed issue. i am gonna adjust it and see what happens. hopefully it is an easy fix for whatever is causing these minor issues.

Comment

The low oil pressure is coming from either a worn oil pump, worn bearings, or a restriction somewhere in the pressurized side of the oiling system, or a combination of two or all of those.

The oil pan and timing chain cover won't cause a low oil pressure situation. I wouldn't spend the money to get new gaskets for them. Pull the motor and do a quicky overhaul with new bearings/oil pump and seals.

Or, I just remembered, it could just be the oil pressure sensor out of wack. Try replacing that first, or better yet checking the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge.
              Last edited by Tiggie; 10-06-2006, 11:10 PM.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Probably it needs bearings. If it makes any sort of rattle when you fire the motor up in the morning, the bearings are likely toast. Check the pressure with a guage before assuming anything but if its low at idle when it gets hot, the bottom end is going. Run thicker oil and you can get away with it for quite some time. When it gets to the point of having the idiot light on full time, consider rebuilding the motor. At that point its pretty much dead.

As for the running out of power thing, have you replaced the fuel and air filters and/or done a tuneup?
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Do you know if it was overheated before, I saw in another thread that you had a leaking timing cover and the headgaskets were replaced? Might seem like a long shot but if it starts flickering after a long highway run or when the engine is hot, it could be overheating also. I've seen the same thing happen on other motors but usually it does mean low oil pressure. Headgasket could have blown, leaking intake manifold, warped or cracked heads or block, bad waterpump, too much air in the system, etc.

Check your compression first though with a gauge as everyone else has mentioned above. These motors can go for awhile with low oil pressure, 15-40 or 20w50 with lucas oil stabilizer works pretty well.
                  Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
                  2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
                  Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
                  Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Comment

Working...
                  X