Hood Insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hood Insulation

Probably been asked before but is it ok to remove the hood insulation on my car? I've done it on a camaro with a new paintjob with no adverse effects but not on an original paint, 20 year old car.
    Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
    2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
    Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
    Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Tear it down if it looks shitty.
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Get rid of it. Not only do they get torn up and look ugly, but they collect tons of dust and dirt. I ripped mine out 'cause I got sick of the dust cloud everytime I bumped it.

Comment

What does hood insulation do? Does it do more than muffle the noise coming from the engine?
        88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
        Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

supposed to cover the engine in case of fire......the pins melt and the hood pad covers the motor.........dont work well tho cause greasy hood pads burn
          rip it off

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Rip it off mang, rip it off.

If it were me I'd paint the underside of the hood with black engine paint or something, would probably make it look a little better.
            Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
            Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Mine was gone when I bought her.

1991 Crown Victoria LTD, Puff the Magik Dragon

Comment

Mine will leave whenever I have time to remove it. Its ratty and crappy looking. I just don't have a dumpster to put it in currently.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I keep forgetting mine at Skippy's...
                  '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                  '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

yea throw it away mang............now!!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania
                      supposed to cover the engine in case of fire......the pins melt and the hood pad covers the motor.........dont work well tho cause greasy hood pads burn
                      rip it off
                      I never knew that. I usually rip them out of my cars. I actually removed the onbe from the '85 merk I had because my buddy told me my $30 car would turn into a $30 pile of ashes if I didn't. It was totally saturated with oil.

2007 F-150 Supercab XLT 4x4
                      1997 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Well, he was right.
                        '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                        '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

I rip that shit out on evreything that gets pulled around here...
                          People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

Is hood insulation something that was put in older cars? Because none of the cars we own have hood insulation, and the oldest car is my dad's 93 Grand Caravan, unless my dad ripped out the insulation in all our cars.
                            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

My 96 S10 has hood insulation, moms 2000 Blazer has it. Many vans don't have it though because its pretty much useless. The hood is so small that it wouldn't make a useful fire blanket.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X