Transmission questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission questions

What does setting the TV cable to WOT do? Does it make the shifts shorter and harsher? Also, do I need to use a gauge to check the TV pressure or anything similar or is it as simply as the sticky in this section?

I'm looking into doing this because I've been having some problems with the tranny lately. If I'm crusing at a steady 50-55mph then slow down to 45-40 it slips sometimes. Its also relucant to upshift when coming to a stop from a higher speed. Doesn't like WOT, it will downshift for a few seconds only. You have to floor it a couple of times to get it to stay out of OD to be able to pass someone in it. Its shudders sometimes but I've been in other panthers that done the same thing, usually in the morning.

Tranny fluid and filter are both fine, I had it changed about 5-6,000 miles ago. The fluid is still bright red and at the same full mark it was 5k ago. TV grommet was replaced well before it could break on the stock intake and I have a new one on my HO intake and TB.
    Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
    2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
    Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
    Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Sounds like your TV pressure is too low. The clutches will chatter and slip if the pressure isn't enough. Setting it to full at WOT makes it hold gears a little longer and firms up the shift. You don't really need a guage, but if it makes you feel better, there is a procedure in the shop manual that details setting it with a guage and the correct spacer block thing to pull the cable out a pre-determined amount. Setting it per the sticky should get you where it needs to be. I usually set mine by feel. When it doesn't hit overdrive till about 45-50 mph, and the shifts are solid then I call it good. I think mine is slightly less than full at WOT.
    Last edited by gadget73; 09-25-2006, 01:10 AM.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Set the tv pressure to WOT today and its working pretty well now. No problems shifting so far and it shifts into OD much later.
      Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
      2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:

Comment

Good deal. More pressure is better than less.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yep seems to be working better know. It did slip a little when I took my foot off the gas at 45 mph and hit the gas again at around 32mph. I think the clutches for 3rd is worn out. Could maybe a shift kit help extend the life of the tranny or would I be better off leaving it alone?

Associated Panthers:

Comment

Working...
          X