Cheap Upgrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 88Vic
    I've heard that ported GT40 upper and lower intakes are a great upgrade.
    They're a great upgrade, but not on E6 heads. I would think you should at least have E7's and 1.7RR's.
    Nick
    88 Colony Park LS
    G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
    Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat
      Go to the junk yard. You can find an 8.8 with 3.55s or 3.73s and a trac-lock for cheap ($50 for both gears and carrier at the local pull apart yard here). That'll save you a lot of money as long as you get good gears (no excessive wear).
      What Ford vehicle came out of the factory with the 3.73s and a track lock? Some Explorer maybe, or an F150 truck? Model years will be helpfull as well

Comment

Lots of '94+ Explorers had 3.55s, 3.73s, and 4.10s and traclock. Problem is, they were 31-spline, so you need to also tear into a Panther or Mustang axle and take the spider gears from a 28-spline unit to swap 'em into the 31-spline unit. It's easier to swap the spider gears than to attempt to pull ring and pinion while in the junk yard.
        2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
        1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
        1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Or just get a set of used gears that are already pulled, since really if you're opening up a high mileage rear, it should be rebuilt with new bearings and seals. The traction lock also should be rebuilt, especially since the kit costs a whopping $50.

Stock HO upper and throttle body are a good cheap intake upgrade. Anything more on a stock motor is just a waste of money. Stock upper, tb, and a bored spacer can probably be had for maybe $60 all told and the lower intake doesnt need to come off. More intake is just not neccessary with the stocker heads.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You know, I'm not too inclined to spend money on a regular limited slip, I'd rather save up and throw a Powertrax or even a manually controlled locker unit. I think I'll limit myself to some gears for now, but I'm still debating between the 3.73s and the 4.10s - 3.73 will be better for all-arond driving, but 4.10 will be great for city and will also force me to slow down on the interstate, which is actually a good thing seing how I've been driving for the last month or so.

Comment

Almost all Ranger 4.0's have the 8.8 with 28-spline axles and almost always have at least 3.55 gears. The exception is newer FX4 Level-II's, they have 31-splines and Torsen LS.
              1990 Country Squire - under restoration
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Nah, everyone and their mom have 3.55, I want something with more haul-ass capabilities

Comment

My low-option Ranger has 3.73's. You'll find 3.73's in most, 4.10's in many, and 3.55's in some.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Oh, okay then, Ranger hunting it is - are axle codes for those still the same as the ones for Panthers?

Comment

Just climb under and read the tag.
                      2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                      1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                      1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Ranger Axle Codes:

Note: I've never, ever, never, ever, ever seen any 4.56 gear Rangers factory.
                        Last edited by Tiggie; 09-25-2006, 11:29 PM.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

OK, so I'm looking for a 96, 97, R6 or R7 axle... good to know, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                          X