No announcement yet.

Minor ignition question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Switch In, Thanks for Help, Prob. Solved?

Got the new ignition switch in and cleaned the contacts inside the key assemblage. Sorta didnt quite fix the problem at first (cold start), but hot starts are back to normal (instant start). Will see about tomorrow's cold start. Hard to explain but new switch did seem to help things overall, car just ran better (or seemed to me to anyway). Glad I replaced it just on the safety tip. Will update.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

1991 Crown Victoria LTD, Puff the Magik Dragon

Comment

Not really better

W/ the new switch if you hit the sweet spot turning the key partway she fires right up. Turn too far to the right and nothing. New key cylinder switch? Am gonna clean the contacts some more in there and see what happens.

Comment

Now Im wondering if it isn't the fn battery. Didn't want to start at all, just turned over weakly. Applied the jumper box to the batt. and she started instantly.

Comment

Originally posted by 91 LTD
          Now Im wondering if it isn't the fn battery. Didn't want to start at all, just turned over weakly. Applied the jumper box to the batt. and she started instantly.
          That might also be a bad battery cable.
          Nick
          88 Colony Park LS
          G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
          Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Yeah, I'd pull and clean the cables and the connections at the starter relay first. If the cables are funky and cracked, you might want to replace them. They're pretty cheap.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Cables look great. Ill check the starter relay, did a general check and everything looked good. My guess is when shes been runnin the battery's topped off and'll start her fine. Cold= less juice. Battery is ancient.

Comment

New battery solved everything. Am still glad I replaced the ignition switch too. Thanks for all the help/ advice.

Comment

Working...
                X