Minor ignition question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minor ignition question

For some strange reason if I turn the key all the way to the right she turns over and over but doesn't want to start. If I turn it just partway it seems to "catch" and start right away. Thanks in adv.

1991 Crown Victoria LTD, Puff the Magik Dragon

Most likely a wore out switch, the part that engages the starter is a rod that pushes on the switch, the ignition is active in the on/run position. Its possible that it doesn't make a connection when you push it too far. Id take it apart and clean the contacts.
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Get a new switch. Its a fire hazard on these cars. There was a recall for it at one point but the switch is only like 20 bucks or something.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
        Get a new switch. Its a fire hazard on these cars. There was a recall for it at one point but the switch is only like 20 bucks or something.
        I remember runnin my vin on some ford recall site and was amazed that nothing really came up for my car. Am heading to the store to day fo that new switch. Thanks.

Comment

Were '90 and '91 included in that recall? I've only seen '89 down crispy fried from the switch.
          '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
          '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

for $21.99 at autozone got me one LS615 ignition starter switch, shop manual makes me think even I will have a hard time fuckin this one up.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxMan
              Were '90 and '91 included in that recall? I've only seen '89 down crispy fried from the switch.
              No idea, possibly the fire problem was fixed but the switches can still wear out and all.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Anyone have any great tips/ hints/ shortcuts? Do I have to remove the dash panel below the steering column or just the column covers?

Comment

You only have to remove the covers. Also, you will have to have a security torx screw to deal with. When you buy the part, check the screws that come with it and go to a hardware store to find the correct bit; or you can break out the stem and use a plain old torx bit that will fit. A very easy procedure all told.

Comment

I found it slightly easier to get the lower part of the shroud on and off with the small panel directly below the steering column removed, but no idea how the 90+ column comes apart really. My original screws that held the ignition switch were this completely wierd tamper-proof thing that had just a round head on it. I used one of those sockets designed for removing rounded off bolts to get them out. Tap the socket on, remove with the appropriate sized ratchet. I have a set of torx security bits that I got for $cheap somewhere. I think they were like $5 for the set or something. I used the right one in one of those screwdrivers with the interchangeable bits. The whole process was less than an hour, much of that time spent looking for the aforementioned rounded off bolt socket set.

Comment

Thanks. Now what does it mean if my problem starting completely disappears when the car is warmed up?

Comment

...the logic fails me at that point. If it was ignition switch it should be completely unrelated to engine temperature, and if it was some electrical problem outside of the ignition switch it should not matter exactly how you turn the key to make it start.

Comment

Had trouble starting her today. Strange thing was I had to turn the key all the way and kind of hard to get the ignition to catch (starter motor was turning no prob.).

Comment

Does your car use one or two small terminals on the starter relay? If its using both of them, check the I terminal for +12v while the engine is cranking. If its not working, or the connection between that point and the ignition coil is bad, it won't have any fire while cranking the motor over. Not sure if your car uses that setup or not, just a thought.

Comment

Poor mans anti theft system

Originally posted by gadget73
                              Does your car use one or two small terminals on the starter relay? If its using both of them, check the I terminal for +12v while the engine is cranking. If its not working, or the connection between that point and the ignition coil is bad, it won't have any fire while cranking the motor over. Not sure if your car uses that setup or not, just a thought.
                              Haven't had time yet (been working like a mother fucker, one day off in two weeks, 12hr+ days, driving a 5ton all this week) but will follow your advice senor Gadget. Anywho she now has a sweet spot where when you try to start her you must turn the key very precisely to or shell crank but not start/ or act like the batts dead. It's my poor mans anti theft.

Comment

Working...
                              X