well I m gunna do an explorer swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well I m gunna do an explorer swap

If i m going to do it i m gunna need to do somethin aobut my transmission any ideas. In fisrt it doesnt hook well thinkin of getting a c4 and puttin it in i dont ave enough money to rebuild my trans it works well just is a little slugish in first
    sigpic
    1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Id stay with an AOD, when done right they're great trannys and give you better mpg as well, whats not to love?
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Keep the AOD, especially since it's working to some extent. Later, an AOD might cost slightly more to rebuild, but would also be more likely to be found in a junkyard if you chose that route.
      1990 Country Squire - under restoration
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Just don't beat on the car once the motor goes in, or its gonna blow up real quick. It probably needs a service, and the 83 has the crappy overdrive servo anyway. Be easy on it and it should be OK for a while. I'm gonna agree with those guys tho, keep the AOD. Tons of them in the junkyard if you're really poor and cant afford a rebuild. Lots easier to find a good junkyard AOD than it is to find any C4 tranny. A stock C4 isn't all that big of a deal either really. They take well to performance builds but so do AODs, plus you get overdrive for that highway cruise mode.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The AOD is great with a good rebuild.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

making a coin bin for my loose change to save up for rebuild and puttin some money aside soon
            sigpic
            1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

aod kick ass

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
              302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
              k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

I personally can't stand the AOD, it's only second in line behind the A4LD on my most hated transmission list!

The C4 is my choice, Hell I'm going to run one on the 460 I'm swapping into my truck.I'm chucking the C6 that's on it now. The C4 is lighter, a simpler design and with a few mods they're bulletproof.

Ford should have called the AOD "Problematic". The only AOD I'd run would be one built by Lentech. But for the price of one of those I could just get a gear vendors OD unit for my C4.

If you are on a budget stick with the AOD, just find a good yard that has a large supply of them!!

Comment

you mangs are crazy, c4's are the unreliable pos's
                  the aod planetary design is the same as the fmx........had plenty of c4's grenade, never an fmx........in all my years of aod equipped fords, i have only ever replaced one of my own that was failing.......one aod to the half dozen c4's that i blew up in my younger years

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Well it's just the opposite for me. I've destroyed 7 AOD's compared to 1 C4. And that C4 was in my 65 Mustang with a 289. It took a week of flooring it from every stop light and sign to fry it. But it also had 160,000 miles on it and it was the original transmission(this was in 1992 ). Towed the Stang to school yanked the C4 rebuilt it(stock rebuild with new convertor ). 2 days after I removed the trans I was driving the Stang home. I drove that car liked I stole it and the transmission never gave me any trouble after the rebuild(I drove it 140 miles a day for a year ). I broke the slip yoke on the driveshaft doing neutral drops(Yes I was young and dumb ). But the C4 never complained.

Now every vehicle I've owned and drove that had an AOD in it had the transmission blow. The ones I had that didn't go out were ones I never got to drive.

I guess I'm just an AOD terminator!! Because no one else around here ever has any issues with AOD's.

I'll stick with my C4's.

Comment

AODs blow up from either that stupid TV bushing, or just simple overheating. A cooler, a brass TV bushing, and tranny fluid changes will keep them going for many years. My Lincoln had 126k on the clock with the AOD and it was fine. The fluid had never been changed, and it came out looking like used motor oil. It still had all 4 gears and shifted decently. Worked perfect till I caught it on fire and melted the valve body.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My first Panther(85 CV ) was extremely well taken care of. I was the second owner. I bought it from an older man that never abused it and had all the records on the car.

I drove the car 3 months(no abuse or other stupid crap,just my regular hard driving ). And the input shaft broke.:nonono:

Now I've done a lot of stupid crap with vehicles with C4's and I've never broke a input shaft!

But hey run what you like. If an AOD works for you run it. Me I'll stick with the C4's and C6's.

Comment

You need to decide how important OD is. If you can live with RPM's, a C4 is fine, but if you like big gears and having a lockup converter, there is nothing wrong with a 89+ AOD in good shape with a good valve body.

Comment

wat about a c6 will one of them fit
                            sigpic

Comment

If you get a c6 with a small block bell you can use one. But generally c6's are heavy and eat alot of horsepower. They can be built to handle tons of hp tho but a c6 wouldnt be a good choice for your application. I think an AOD would e best for you.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                              My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Working...
                              X