Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idiot lights

Two-fold question here...

A) Can I get rid of my idiot light set-up, and get a real tachometer or oil temp gauge without too much trouble?

B) If my low fuel light is on for no reason, can I do anything short of pulling the plug on it to fix it? I already unhooked/rehooked the battery to reset everything to no avail.

Thanks again.

For A., you sure can. Heres a Link to Pete Mang's step by step :-D http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=1574

B., im not sure.

D.K.
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

yeah adding gauges is easy, and Id just unplug the fuel light somewhere like the realy (not sure where it is)
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Most of the time the low fuel light will stay on from a bad ground. The module is under the dash on the driver's side behind the radio. Its not buried back there or anything, its a black module with 'low fuel module' or something else that makes it super obvious what it does printed on it. Pull the plug, take a pencil eraser to the contacts on the module, and try to clean the connectors on the plug. If you trace the wires out of the plug, I'm fairly sure one of them grounds to a piece of metal under the dash fairly close to the plug. Make sure thats good and clean and the light should stop lighting when its not supposed to. If it doesn't, just unplug the module.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, you can get rid of the idiot lights without any repercussions. You can also really delete them if you'd like and install a couple gauges inside the speedo for an almost stock appearance. But you are limited to two guages inside the speedometer. The rest have to go elswhere.

Link to my gauge install.
          Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 09-11-2006, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Thanks, all.

I'm gonna go ahead and probably start the planning to install two standard gauges.

Here's some crazy stuff, though... The only way to make the Low Fuel light go off is to turn on the radio... I'm not joking, it's surefire, every time, and instant.
            Last edited by fairplay; 09-12-2006, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a short almost to me. like a ground touching a hot withing the radio and the Idiot light?

Just my two cents though.
              People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

That has to be a ground problem. Whenever completely nonsensible electrical things go on, its almost always a bad ground somewhere. Now the fun part is finding it.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Where do you install the temp. sending unit? All the holes on my intake look like they are used.
                  89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

Well, mine is in the temp sensor hole in the front of the lower intake.

Comment

You replace the idiot light sender in the lower intake. Its up towards the front on the passenger side. Its the sensor with the single wire connector.

Comment

Doesn't the computer use that one too?
                        89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

No. The coolant temperature sender for the computer is located on the passenger side front of the manifold in the fitting where the one heater hose attaches.

Comment

OK, thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X