Is there any way to install ABS on my 83 wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any way to install ABS on my 83 wagon

I was driving it today it locks up like no other when you slam on the them... since i am trying to make this go fast and cool and SAFE so any way i can
    sigpic
    1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

first of all are your brakes good? I'm sure you could install abs but it would be one hell of a project first you would need the abs pump also add some new lines mabey get a abs computer from a mark 7 or towncar install wiring speed sensors install lights for the guadge it is possible but would time cumsuming and cost money

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

ABS... I wouldn't try it simply because it shouldn't be needed.

Don't slam on the brakes and you'll be fine, if not better off. The techique is called threshold braking.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Threshold braking is a tough thing to do with stock brakes. ABS would be very tough to do and would require changing a lot of stuff on the frotn and rear suspension. Do the 98-02 brakes and it will become a moot point.

Also, just doing a big drum upgrade (if it doesn't already have them beign a wagon) or rear discs should help a good bit. Tires, shocks, and springs all also contribute to the problem.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

rear wheel cylinders are probably trash or the axle seals are leaking and getting gear oil on the brake shoes........shitty tires will cause the brakes to lock up easilly too
          best bet isd the 98-02 brake upgrade.......my wheels will not lock unless you slam real hard on the brake pedal

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

well they are all new brakes and winter tires i have shocks and a new springs soon but abs will not be going in i dont have the time maybe in future
            sigpic
            1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

Do the 98-02 brakes and it will become a moot point.

Also, just doing a big drum upgrade (if it doesn't already have them beign a wagon) or rear discs should help a good bit. Tires, shocks, and springs all also contribute to the problem.
              Damn skippy!! ABS would be a pain if only for the reason of mounting the speed sensors and such. That upgrade will make the world of difference, Im doing the 98+ on the towncar with my new wheels. The vic has 14 inch cragars so it gets stock disc.
              Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Working...
              X