X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle Screw anyone? HELP!!!!!

Ok here is the deal.

89 Grand Marquis. 5.0 All stock.

Had a high idle problem. Tried to adjust the idle with the idle screw, and the head snapped right off after a couple of turns.

Anyways, it didnt help, and it turned out to be the throttle assembly. Replaced it, ran great.

Car has been garaged for a bit now. Had to jump start it, but it wont stay running with my foot off of the pedal.

Has anyone had this problem. I looked around but didnt immediately see anything. I cant adjust the idle any higher because the screw head is gone.

Is my answer obvious, replace the screw and see what happens???

The idle screw is not supposed to be touched. The Idle air bypass (solenoid hanging off the throttle body) is probably bad or clogged. There are also many other sensors that can cause a poor idle.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
      The idle screw is not supposed to be touched. The Idle air bypass (solenoid hanging off the throttle body) is probably bad or clogged. There are also many other sensors that can cause a poor idle.
      Thank you. Thats probably why the screw head popped off.

Any other avenues I can try.

Comment

Get the codes scanned. That's a darn good start. Most Auto parts chains will do that for free. Also look for vacuum leaks. The parking brake release is a common one, and on most of these cars all the plastic lines crack with age.

Comment

Go with the IAC first. Thats what causes really high or really low idle most of the time. They get gunked up and stick, and then the car won't idle properly. Other possibles are a broken vacuum hose to the MAP sensor, a faulty coolant temperature sensor, or a bad intake air temp sensor, or even a bad TPS. Try removing and cleaning out the IAC first with some carb cleaner. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The TPS is the thing on the top of the throttle body with 3 wires. Check the green (i think its the green, might be the orange) wire for voltage with the engine idling (or key on if it wont idle). It should be between 0.9-1.0 volts and it should increase smoothly to somewhere around 4.5-5.0 volts at WOT position. If it doesn't, its bad.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. Where can I find the IAC. Is that the same as the Idle air bypass?

Comment

ive had to play with it a few times. what i do is

#1 disconnect the iac and tps
              #2 turn the screw all the way left so when you first go to start it the engine wont fire
              #3 i then bump it up little by little till the engine fires and barely runs.

after this i give it 1/4 turn clockwise replug the iac and tps and reset the battery by disconnecting the negative ground... last but not least take it for a spin!!!

if your missing the idle screw wouldnt there be a big leak? i havent examined it that much so i wouldnt really know, but i do know for a fact if your screw is to counterclockwise the engine wont turn over know matter what you do. the purpouse of the screw as far as i can tell is to adjust the valve in the throttle body, to much counterclockwise and it will be closed therefore no or little air will go through and your engine wont stay running without your foot on the gas.. is this correct peoples???
              Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Not really, the throttle plate has a hole in it to allow the air to go through, the Idle bybass is also there to allow air in. From what I gather, his screw broke off a few turns in, opening the TB. So that actually adds to his issues. Since the TB is partly open, the TPS sensor is probably seeing that and that makes the IAB shutoff because the car is not in an idle condition.

Comment

Ok. I did a little experiment,

I ripped the top off of a book of matches. Folded it twice, and rested it between what was left of the screw and the throttle. (The throttle holding it in place. Remember the head part broke off leaving about 1/32" meat at the front but about 1 inch on the other side that hits the throttle)

I started the car up and Vroooooom. It ran and stayed running. It was just about right.

Now what to do. I hit the screw with WD40 let it sit and tried to turn it with vice grips. No good.

I hit autozone and asked for a nut the same size of the screw. PAYDIRT. Got one about 1/2 inch thick.

Came home. Screwed it on. Started the car. Then I kept turning the nut until it was far enough in for the proper idle.

Now my intention was to solder it on and see if I could get the screw out that way. But the sun was shining, and I had to hit DMV for my other car so I soldered and left it in place.

I drove the car all day. I knows its a bit of a jury rig. But what the hell. The cars running better than ever.

Once again, thanks for all the help guys.

K-Bar Out.

Comment

as long as you were able to adjust it and it works fine just leave it alone.. once its set correctly the first time you pretty much never need to touch it again. glad to see you got it solved
                    Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Working...
                    X