Thermostat!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermostat!!!

I just finished replacing my water pump, new 2 core radiator, thermostat, and I bypassed and removed this aftermarket trans cooler that the Previous Owner installed. I don't think it was really installed right. Anyway, it's leaking out of my thermostat housing.... Any tips on getting it right.

Lets make sure I'm doing this right, the gasket goes against the engine the thermostat sits in the little nook on the housing and you quickly put it all on there hoping nothing shifts. Well after three attemps I'm done.

The thermostat slipped down out of its pocket happens alot. Do over.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

correct..... sounds like the T/stat has slipped out of the lip and wedged itself between the housing and manifold. that creates an instant water leak.

pick yourself up a self adhesive T/stat gasket at Napa. one side sticks to the T/stat housing and holds the T/stat in place while you bolt the housing on.
      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

also check to make sure the hose is tight when installed my new radiator I forgot to tighten the clamp and water leak out

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
        302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
        k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

That sticky gasket stuff is the secret.
          And in case anyone is wondering, a stock 2 core out of a 88 crown vic cop car with a 351 will fit in a '89 colony park with slight mods. They have them in stock at autozone.

Comment

I'd consider re-adding the trans cooler. It does good things for the life of your transmission. Re-plumb it if you must, but I wouldn't just forget about it.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude
              That sticky gasket stuff is the secret.
              And in case anyone is wondering, a stock 2 core out of a 88 crown vic cop car with a 351 will fit in a '89 colony park with slight mods. They have them in stock at autozone.
              What had to be modded on the rad? Should have bolted right in.
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I am gonna put the trans cooler back in, I'm just waiting to get a small electric fan for it.

For the Rad, I had to modify the very bottom of the fan shroud just had to cut a little slit for it. I had to drill small holes in the top of the radiator for the shrouds screws also, the pre drilled didn't match up. Also the inlet and outlets are different sizes. Right now I have the hoses clamped on there but I'm guessing the 88 cv hoses are the ones I need now. Otherwise all else fit.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude
                  For the Rad, I had to modify the very bottom of the fan shroud just had to cut a little slit for it. I had to drill small holes in the top of the radiator for the shrouds screws also, the pre drilled didn't match up.
                  Yup, my 3-Row Car has a different PN fan shroud than the 1-Row car.
                  1990 Country Squire - under restoration
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

That prob would have been the easy route, just buy a different shroud. Kinda wish I thought of that. haha.

Comment

Finding the proper fan shroud probably wouldn't be the easiest thing. No big deal to drill holes for the screws tho.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                      X