Exhaust Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Questions

Wasn't sure where to put this but here seemed to be the best place. I wanted to get some sort of dual exhaust. It seems like everyone on here has, wants, or suggests headers but a mechanic i know seems to discourage them quite a bit. He say's they will end up leaking and will also burn up plug wires but he is the only person i've heard say that so is it something i have to worry about? I was also wondering what kind of mufflers to get, i dont want anything really loud, just louder with that nice V8 grumble noise. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

-Mark

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

It really depends on what headers you get - your mechanic is correct when it comes to headers with individual flanges, however a good set of FRPP headers with a single massive flange will work very well on your engine. headers require a Mustang H-pipe, preferably an off-road one (no cats), then S10 midpipes, mufflers of your choice, and if you want to keep teh 2.5" diameter all the way to the back use Impala SS tailpipes with some extensions of your choice (glasspacks, straigh pipes, resonators, whatever). If you consider side exits like mine I'd have to warn you that you'll need to jack the rear end up and stiffen the springs, otherwise you'll be hitting the sidepies left and right when going over speedbumps and driveways.

Comment

you don't need headers, but a good dual exhuast is a good thing. Custom bent from the manifolds back to impala tails is a good start. 2.25" minimum pipe size..

BBK, or FRPP are good headers, eve nusing stock mustang ones are better than the stock manifolds.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

i reccommend flowmaster mufflers.. i have super 40's on my 88 vic with no resonators, and 97% air flow stock cats, and the custom exhuast starts there.. it's not loud at all, but it's not quiet either.. it's perfect for me, when i want to hear it i can put a window down and really get on it but the interior resonance is really not bad at all.. i couldn't have been more pleased with flowmasters

Comment

Originally posted by 88crwnvc
          it's perfect for me, when i want to hear it i can put a window down and really get on it but the interior resonance is really not bad at all.. i couldn't have been more pleased with flowmasters
          Then you better leave those cats on there. once they come off it's a whole different world.

Comment

I've got complete custom 2.5" headers back with cats and edelbrock RPM mufflers...Nice and quiet inside. No resonance. Nice and loud outside.

The superlinc has similar exhuast, but with turbo mufflers and resonators. Nice and quiet, but throaty.
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I have a 91 gm gs, and I was wondering will the Tri-Y headers fit?
              Stock 91 Merc GM GS 5.0L EFI, AOD, 2.73 Open diff
              Current Best 1/4 Mile 17.175 = 165 RWHP 190 Engine HP
              http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/15193

Comment

I have some shorties for sale
                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I hate to kinda Hijack the treead but. I spoke with a muffler guy today and he told me he cant cut the cat's off anymore. And seeing i dont have to have them, ima cut them off myself. Any one Got any sujestions on where i should cut them off at. a inch from it on both sides or what?or right beside it.?

O and whats a good muffler for not being all to loude? i dont want a noise violation :-/ that would suck .. And let's think cheap )

Any how, thankls guy's

Dark
                  People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

I agree with 88Vic, flowmaster 40's would sound great and not be too loud, headers will make a difference of about 15hp or so.
                    I have stock mustang shorties on mine and they fit perfectly into place without hitting plug wires and I have not yet have any gasket leak problems and I have had them on for over a year now.
                    sigpic
                    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

So i think i will be going with either 86-93 stock mustang headers or these http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku then 2.5" catless H-pipe back to Flowmaster 40's then impala SS tailpipes, or just have the exhaust shop bend them if they can. Then finish it off with some cool looking tips. Hopefully that will work out nice, i'm going to take it to the shop and see how much it's going to be then have them put it all on sometime in the next few weeks if that is what i decide to go with. Whatever i do i will get plenty of pics.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
                      1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)

Comment

straight pipes

1989 5.0 police car has the stock manifolds 2 cats and straight pipes it's not that loud at an idle but when you really stand on it it sound sorta like you are in the general lee and someone turned up the volume lol it's great for rev off contests and in neutral we can set off the benzo's car alarm we love it
                        um we dont recamend it
                        YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Originally posted by FatNasty
                          So i think i will be going with either 86-93 stock mustang headers or these http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku then 2.5" catless H-pipe back to Flowmaster 40's then impala SS tailpipes, or just have the exhaust shop bend them if they can. Then finish it off with some cool looking tips. Hopefully that will work out nice, i'm going to take it to the shop and see how much it's going to be then have them put it all on sometime in the next few weeks if that is what i decide to go with. Whatever i do i will get plenty of pics.
                          Thats the ones I am selling 60$ i will take picks if your interested.

Comment

The mustang ones or the BBK ones? Either way i'm interested and pics would be great.

Comment

I think there BBK or Motorsport there not factory ones. I have those too.

Comment

Working...
                              X