TFI, or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TFI, or what?

Hey guys. I'm new to posting here, but not new to reading the forum. I have a carbed '85 CV, and I've been having issues with low RPM stalls, and intermittant failure to start, especially on hot days. I replaced Fuel Pump (had access to a lesser used one for free) and Fuel Filter already, but no improvement. Two car techs have told me it's likely my TFI, but I thought I'd throw to to the masses for some input before doing anything. Also, do I need a special tool to work on this module or what? Thanks in advance.

I don't think i've ever heard of TFI. I've heard of TPI, or Tuned Port Injection. Is TFI Tuned Fuel Injection? If so, then I don't know what it is and I can't help ya their. Sorry.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

TFI = Thick Film Ignition, its the ignition module on the side of the distributor. Carb models don't have this. Unless you have a Canadian model, it should be a CFI car, which is kind of a bastard mix of EFI and carb. The TFI module needs a special cheap tool to remove, but 99% of the time it either works or it doesnt. Is the dashpot working? Thats the thing with the rod that pushes against the throttle plate. Its supposed to extend outward and raise the idle for cold warmups. If its not working, or not making contact with the throttle lever, you might need to adjust it. Also, CFI engines do require that you pump the gas pedal to set the high idle before starting, otherwise they usually wont run.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the TFI module is an ignition module only used on fuel injected cars - unless you have a 351 polics motor or a car produced for sale in canada, you have Central Fuel Injection which used a round air cleaner, same as a carbed motor.

Good chance it is the TFI module.
        Think you can make it to Tremont PA this weekend? we are having our yearly gathering there and then. Perhaps we could help.
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Actually, I think maybe I will make it. I misspoke when I said I had a "carbed" engine. I meant I have "a fucking weird set-up that looks like both fuel injection and carburetion". What time/place/date?

Comment

Go the the Scottfest section for more info.
            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Shit. She's not gonna be able to make it down with all the stalling, and I have some pretty hefty commitments for the weekend. I'm really closeby, too. Fucking shame. If anyone has any interest in stopping by on their way back home, on Sunday afternoon, or Monday, I'd throw a few gas bucks at anyone who can help me nail down my problem. I'm under an hour from Tremont. If anyone has any interest in helping a brother out, feel free to IM me, PM me, or whatever. Any opinions from someone who knows more about this ignition module shit than I do (a group that probably includes most of you, including several smarter reptiles, amphibians and fish) would be awesome.

Comment

Working...
              X