Rods knocking on start up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rods knocking on start up!

This has been going on for a while but is getting worse lately, when ever my merc hasent been running for a couple hour's or over night when i start it the rod's knock for at least 15 seconds, i did an oil change a couple months ago, went to canadian tire told them what i needed oil for and they gave me 5 W 30, im not sure if that kind of oil is to thin?? My car only has 160,000 Km's on it, so i hope it's nothing major, the engine runs nice and quiet after that 15 seconds though,,.

5W is too thin, unless it is really really cold. I'd run 10W, and if your engine is nockings maybe even 15w

Comment

5w is a bit thin, Hopefully runnning a thicker oil will make it go away since its only for the first 15 secs

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
      My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Ditch the 5w. We fixed Fordgirl's Vic with 20w50 and a quart of Lucas. Engine is nice and silent now.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

:stupid: For now, I'd run 20w50 like gadget said since its still summertime and it may help alot. For the winter time I would drop to 15w40 or 10w30 with an additive. Running an additive is a great idea, I used both rislone and lucas in the past and both would make the knocks and valve chatter disapper.

Also, its pretty normal for a high mileage 5.0 to have low oil pressure, so on a cold morning it may still have a slight knock. Seen plenty of these motors see 200k or better with a low oil pressure and even a slight knock. When your engine light comes on and you have a constant 0 psi at idle, then you have a problem.
          Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
          2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
          Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
          Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Comment

if anybody has the original owners manual, it says to use 10w30 or thicker for all season. just thought i would add this since i have mine. i have been also told that with higher mileage it is better to use a thicker oil.
            Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

I always use 10w 30 and rislone

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
              302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
              k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

15w40 here and no rattles. Also I use a smaller oil filter as it takes less time to fill up. I think its a motorcraft fl400.
                1989 Grand Marquis LS
                flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

10W 30 here
                  Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                  Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Had a big meeting at Ford power train and told us to never use 5W it was just to meet fuel economy and shouldnt be used in there engines.
                    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Well that's simply great, I've been running 5W30 for over an year now. Never had a problem with knocking though, only slight valve chatter sometimes but it's intermittent.

Comment

ok ,, So shuld i use any additive's for 20W 30 then if i get that kind of oil?
                        Thanks

Comment

I have used Shell Rotilla T for years in most of my cars 15w- 40w. This is now one of the few oils that will still support flat tapet cams. Of course most of us run rollers. If you need something a bit thinner for the winter add a quart or two of a synthetic in it.
                          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

ok thanks guy's

Comment

I am a firm believer in rotella-t also. I go like 8-10k between oil changes with it.
                              1989 Grand Marquis LS
                              flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Working...
                              X