Breakerless Igntion Module?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breakerless Igntion Module?

Hey guys, i got my Shop manual the other day and got the the wiring part allready. Now i got a question. What will happen if a panther dosent have the Breakerless Igntion Module? What are the umm. Sign's of not one being pluged up or even being there?

Acording to my diagram im supposed to have one And i looked just a min ago, and i dont ) Any how thanks guys. Hopefully someone will know the symptoms )

Dark

: Edit ::

Also I just checked and im missing a "Knock Sensor " EH wtf.?!?

: Another Edit :

Never mind iw as looking at the diagram a bit wrong, Coldent tell which side of the carb it was on, I got one on my car Knock Sensor that is....
    Last edited by DarkKnight; 08-08-2006, 03:40 PM.
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

All electronic ignition systems used by Ford after 1974 are breakerless ignition system, just wanted to point that out first.

Now, since your car is an 85, it has a thick-film ignition module (TFI) which is mounted around the base of the distributor. If you don't have a TFI module mounted around the base of the distributor, that is a huge problem. Not to be sarcastic but I'm amazed if you managed to get it to run without it, every panther I seen won't start with a failed module. I can see the previous owner doing this since you said he changed the cam.

The computer relies on the module to sense the crank position and adjust spark advance (advance the timing). It has a little black connector, the spout, off of its wiring harness, if its missing the plug it will try to default the timing to 10 degrees.

Before you touch the timing again, check to make sure the module is there, maybe post a pic up for us if you can. I attached a pic I borrowed from a post in your other thread and circled what you need to have.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 87mefull; 08-08-2006, 03:47 PM.
    Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
    2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
    Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
    Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Comment

Ive got that :-D, what im talking about is inbeetween the voltage regualtor and, the fuel controle relay, ill go get some batt's so i can snap some pic's I even see the holes in the fenderwell where it use to be )
      People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

PIC's!

Heres the area where it's suposed to go acording to my Manual

And here's the hole's on where it was

And isnt this the Knock Sensor?

O and here's one of the diagram of the shop Manual :-D
        Last edited by DarkKnight; 08-08-2006, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Get a goddamn grommet for that TV rod!

It's missing, and will cause problems!!
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

and that's only the module for 1983-back cars..
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

You don't have a knock sensor.

'85 2-Door Crown Victoria
              302 HO, -0.022" E7 Heads, Weiand Dual Plane Intake, Edelbrock 1406 Carb, Mechanical Fuel Pump, HEI Distributor, 180* T-stat, Transgo Shift Kit, HO Governor, Lokar TV/Throttle Cable Setup, B&M Torq Master 2000 RPM Stall Converter, FRPP Trans Cooler, Mustang Shorty Headers, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, Flowtech H-pipe (no converters), Hooker AeroChamber Mufflers, Side-exit Exhaust w/ Chromed 2.5" Tips, '02 PI F/R Shocks, Cut 2004 PI Front Springs in the Rear, PI Rear Sway Bar, 17" SAP Wheels, 245/50/Z17 Michelin Pilot A/S Tires, Cold A/C, Cruise Control, 4.10 Rear End Gears, Trac Lok Diff.
              '04 Crown Victoria LX Sport, '02 Jeep Liberty
              '83 Suzuki GS 1100E Motorcycle[/color]

Comment

The sensor you pointed out is either the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor or the sender for the idiot light which turns on when your car is overheating. You don't have a knock sensor, only the newer panthers do, 98+ but I'm not sure.

Like GMGT said, fix the TV rod, its missing its grommet and will soon kill your tranny. Luckily, the tv pressure defaults to WOT if the tv rod is disconnected. For us SEFI owners, its the end of our tranny as the tv pressure defaults to 0 once the grommet breaks and the cable becomes disconnected.
                Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
                2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
                Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
                Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Comment

And I would suggest some degreaser and a pressure washer....

Figure 8 is what you have...not 9....
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Ok, cool. ima try and get one of theese gorment's ASAP, Mr. LTD would you preasure wash one before you put new valve cover gasket's on? I got evreything needed but im kinda if'y about it due to the valve cover gasket's :-/

Thank's
                    Dark

Comment

dude - you are looking at diagrams for a carbed motor.
                      You do NOT have any kind of control module on your fender, or any knock sensor. Those are both 351 VV parts. Look at the caption for your diagram it should say 5.8 2bbl
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

OK i figured it out. look at the caption here - CANADA - you could get carbed 5.0 boxes in canada

Originally posted by darkknight
                        O and here's one of the diagram of the shop Manual :-D
                        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by darkknight
                          Ok, cool. ima try and get one of theese gorment's ASAP, Mr. LTD would you preasure wash one before you put new valve cover gasket's on? I got evreything needed but im kinda if'y about it due to the valve cover gasket's :-/

Thank's
                          Dark

Hell yeah, less dirt to get on me while I work. If you are worried about the VC's just don't spray them too much.
                          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

:: Nods ::: Ima get on it then , Ive herd where some people have degreased there engine. And it never turned over agine ) Makes me weary, but! If thats the case it will do it one day anyways, and it might as well be now before then )

Thanks, :->
                            Dark

Comment

Just keep water out of the CFI unit (leave the air cleaner on) and its fine.

And actually you don't have figure 8, thats for 83 model year cars with EEC III. You'd be looking for the EEC IV CFI diagram. Figure 9 is for carb cars in Canada and is also just about identical to 5.8 cars.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X