Homelink Garage Door Opener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homelink Garage Door Opener

Anyone have and use their factory Homelink garage door opener? (George's thread reminded me, LOL.)
    I think I properly followed what the owner's manual said to do but can't seem to get it to work, so either I'm doing something wrong or my garage door opener is no not compatible. It's been a few weeks since I messed with it. I need to try again as I don't recall if the Homelink light(s) flashed like they should and then would not opened/closed the door or if it never confirmed learning my opener and never opened/closed the garage door. My garage door opener is a Chamberlain, likely from around 2006-2007 when the garage was built. The Homelink in my car is built into the driver side visor, and I believe he new-to-me double visor I installed years ago was out of a 2002 so not the original '98 unit (which I previously could not get to work with my SILs similar garage door opener).

'98 MGM for reference, with 2002 Homelink module.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

It should be compatible. I know the homelink is a bit of trouble to get working properly sometimes, so there's that. Do you have the manual for the homelink module? The button to push and number of flashes to look for are very specific.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'll give it another try then. The Owner's manual that came with my car does mention specific light flashing sequence depending on if it's a simple remote learn or a rolling code learn.
      No remotes came with the house so I did the unlearn procedure for the opener in the garage to invalidate any remotes that may have been learned and learned my own remotes which work, so I know the opener itself is working.
      If I have trouble with it maybe I can get some video to make it easy to spot what I'm doing wrong, LOL.
      Not something I need but would be neat to have working.
      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I'm using a Homelink transmitter out of some 90s or very early 00's Caddy that happens to fit the overhead consoles on the Mark VII and the Continental. Garage is about 15 years old with basic Liftmaster units so we're using similar era bits. Mine don't pair with the push the button on an existing remote thing, I had to get up on a ladder to push the button on the opener itself.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, I think you may need to program the opener to accept the homelink (add remote) after you get the homelink programmed with one of the remotes. Since my homelink vehicle parks outside, I decided against using it after using it for a while due to security concerns.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

A little more poking around and I found something that may be important. The date on my garage door opener is actually 7/13/2015. (So installed nearly 10 years after the garage was built.) There is some sort of Homelink bridge device out there to get older Homelink remotes to work with newer garage door openers. I'll look into this more as it might be what I need.

Not relevant in my case: There is a newer Homelink bridge to support 2022+ Chamberlain garage door openers.
            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Lift Master/Chamberlain garage door openers made after 2011 will have security+ 2.0, so the bridge/repeater looks like it is what I would need. (Homelink bridge 855LM looks like what I need.)

I also tried pushing the button up on the opener then holding the home link button but that didn't work either.
              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Ah... yeah... if your garage door opener is that new, that is definitely the problem.

Comment

Working...
                X