Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the Best Tires for my Interstate Cruiser?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the Best Tires for my Interstate Cruiser?

I am looking for the best tires for my 1999 Grand Marquis interstate cruiser. So far, I have added two Addco sway bars with super results. The wallowing is nearly gone, and the car now handles OK at 85-90 mph in traffic with no loss of comfort. I don't want a cop car with its rough ride. Many bloggers say the right premium tires are the next step. Not much snow and ice around here. Want to keep a soft, quiet ride but with better handling. Can anyone recommend how I can find the best tires for my needs?
    Last edited by jimbob457; 08-26-2013, 12:49 PM.

The last set of tires I got for my Grand Marquis are Michelin Harmony. They've been great for the long drives. I feel like I'm driving a couch. But then again it could be just a nice big car ride!

I also have installed Monroe COP shocks...much better feel than the regular shocks.

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
    George Burns

Comment

What kind of tires do you have on right now? I used Cooper Trendsetters and found them to ride nicely. I don't think you'll notice too much difference in most tires on the market. For the most part whether I had Coopers, Dunlops, Firestone, or Michelin, the car rode and handled pretty much the same. You might want to look into a slightly different size tire all together. (Idr the factory tire sizes for the whales) but you'll probably notice more of a difference if you change that.

sigpic

Comment

The Michelin primacy mxv4s' I've got on the front on my 03 MGM are soft and quiet, with great wet grip. When I finally replace the rears (next year?) I'll probably get another set.

Pete
        Originally posted by gadget73
        For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
        1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
        1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

The Firehawk's from Firestone are impressive tires. The Yokohama Advan's are also a very impressive, especially wet braking. I run Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires, if you want the ultimate tire...
          sigpic
          2009 GM, 45,000 miles
          ADDCO Sway Bars, METCO Control arms & Watts link, KYB CVPI shocks, 3.27 Track Lock, GT500 wheels, Eagle F1 Supercar tires, Walker dual exhaust, AFE Cold Air intake, ADTR ported upper manifold, Stillen Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Hypertech Programmer, 93 tune.

Comment

The Falken cheapos on the vic are great in the dry (I can corner pretty dern good for having 15 inch wheels and skinny rubber) and barely ok in the wet. They are nice and quiet though. Next set I get though are probably going to include 17 or 18 inch by 8 wheels and some quality rubber that's great all around.

the 88 has cheapo kumho tires... they're ok but meh. Considering the beating I put on that car though, it'll stay that way. They do ride pretty quiet, but you won't get the mileage rating out of them by a long shot with these big cars.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

17" wheels?
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>06 Mustang Bullet Rims 235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I recommend the Michelin LX4. Those came on the Lincoln and they were pretty good.
                But the Goodyear Eagle F1's or Michelin Pilots are the way to go if you want superb tires.

-ryan s.
                08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                Originally posted by pantera77
                Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                  17" wheels?
                  yeah... depends on what kind of tire prices are around at the time. sometimes 17's have the better prices... sometimes 18's. Either way, I'm going to be hard pressed to find a wheel I like since all the styles I like are from the 60s and 70s (turbines, rally wheels, dog-dish). It will be a while before that happens... so I have time to think about it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Michelin's are a great all around tire in that size.

I say that as a 'tire and lube' technician that's inspected more new and used tires than I can count.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Michelin Defender.........215X70X15.........none better!

Comment

Working...
                      X