anti freeze odors 06 Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anti freeze odors 06 Town Car

My 06 Town Car (50,000 miles)started giving out occasional whiffs of coolant odor during a trip. I was going over a long bridge doing 60 mph that had had gentle smooth porpoising bumps at the end of it. It wasn't jarring as to cause damage. Enough though that if my over sized neighbors were in the back seat they'd have to stop and use the facilities after a large meal. I started smelling the coolant right after that usually going around corners and going down hill. It did it during the whole trip. I stopped and checked under the hood and looked underneath and everything was bone dry. No drips, nothing sizzling. There was absolutely no smell either under the hood or from the tailpipes. There's no steam or white smoke either. The oil is clean with no coolant in it. I looked carefully all around the intake manifold and also around the thermostat housing as well as all around the hoses and it's all dry. I drove it today and it did the same thing. Just occasional whiffs after going around corners and hitting bump and dips. I get out to look under the hood and absolutely no smell. It isn't taking any coolant at all. The gauge is half ways like always. I got out the floor jack and looked underneath and it's bone dry.

There's no steaming of the windshield or smells from the a/c vents. In the past year and a half I've never had one whiff of coolant odor.
    I'm wondering if the initial ride over the bumpy bridge might have caused some air bubbles in the system that vents out from the pressure cap on the overflow tank. I didn't see any kind of bleeder valves anywhere like my Chevy Lumina used to have so I'm not sure if it's possible to bleed the system or not. I suppose the next step is to pressure test the coolant system. Any help would be appreciated.

do these have that intake crossover that cracks? weird
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

It has the new metal crossover (03 up?)but I've even seen those on other forums crack before under the metal on the driver side.

Comment

Pressure testing your cooling system will definitely help diagnose this problem.
        Originally posted by gadget73
        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
        93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
        Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
        Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
        95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Working...
        X