Think this belongs here. Removing engine 86 vic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
    Take the radiator out if you haven't already done so. Then take every fuckin thing off the front of the engine - cooling fan, alternator, smog pump, A/C compressor, power steering pump, belt pulley off the harmonic balancer, water pump (in that order too, more or less). You now have about half an acre of empty space to yank the engine into without destroying stuff you wanna reuse. Also remove the upper intake manifold, then you can run chains from exhaust manifold to the other across the engine - one chain at the front and one in the back, big pin-shackle in the middle to connect them to the engine crane hook (or you can use just the hook alone if it's big enough). Pull the long bolts that go thru the engine mounts, start lifting with the crane, bit go a little first. Put a wooden block under transmission bellhousing, but a bottle jack under said wooden block, use jack to push on block which in turn pushes transmission up. Try to match lifting with the crane and pushing with the bottle jack, the goal is to have the engine suspended by the crane and the front of the trans supported by the jack in equal amounts. When the transmission hits the top of the body tunnel it lives in, you can pry the engine away from the bellhousing and the height you gained while going up is enough for the upper half of the motor mounts (that is bolted to the engine block) to clear the bottom half (that remains bolted to the frame). Keep in mind that when the engine lets go of the transmission things will want to move, keep your fingers away from heavy and/or sharp objects. Once transmission and engine are separated, you can pull the crane away from the front bumper, this will pull the engine into the space you freed up by removing the radiator and the belt-drive accessories. You can now lift the engine all the way up and over the header panel, and eventually out of the engine bay.

Reinstall is reverse, except you should have the water pump installed before engine goes in as doing so on the engine stand is much easier than once the engine is on place.
    That helps so much.

Comment

I got the engine out. This has been a long ride.

Comment

It usually is. But, now you know how to do things. Or, in some cases, how NOT to do things. Either way now that you're familiar with how everything goes together, the reinstall of the new engine should go much smoother. Piece of advice, get yourself a pair of long prybars, one perfectly straight from tip to handle and the other with a curved business end - they will greatly aid you in lining the motor mount brackets back into position once you have the engine and the trans bolted back together. A heavy mallet will also help, or if your prybars are "hammerable" (handles have steel caps you can beat on) you can go straight for the 3lbs engineer's hammer.
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I knew you could do it.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Had a friend help me put in it. Things got not in my favor real fuckin' quick. Torque converter studs are not aligned. A fucking thing I wanted to set up before dropping in th engine. Now the engine is on its mounts, and I can't turn the flywheel at all or anything.

What the fuck do I do I am so tired of this constant stream of bullshit.

Comment

A good example here of why you don't wanna get into vehicle work that your not ready for.

Separate the trans from the engine slightly in the car, just enough that the flywheel can move without binding on the torque converter. Use a socket on the end of a ratchet and extension, to turn the crank pulley bolt, turning the engine and flywheel over until the holes on the flywheel line up with the studs on the torque converter. Push the engine and trans back together, and bolt the whole mess back together. It's a good idea to use locktite on the flywheel to torque converter nuts as well.

Comment

You can turn the flywheel[flexplate]!

The harmonic balancer has a bolt in the center you can use to spin the engine and thus the flywheel[flexplate] to line up with the torque convertor. Over a decade ago when I put the engine in my Fury I made the mistake of not making sure the flexplate matched the torque converter so guess who had to pull the engine again??

Comment

Flywheel won't budge. I can stand on a damn breaker bar and it won't move. For the love of god tell me I don't need to pull thus f'ing engine out again. Please give me other options.

All of this god damn bullshit for something that would have taken 4 seconds of work. I knew I should have dove. I brought it fifty god damn times bu.. nope it'll be fine drop it in you can do that after the fact.

Ha ha ha.

Noticed the post before dericks... love how that didn't load up earlier
                  Last edited by DrHax; 06-23-2017, 02:41 PM.

Comment

That doesn't make sense... The only experience I have doing that is with Mopar crap. I was able to spin the engine with a breaker bar to line up the holes on the torque convertor.

Did that engine turn by hand/breaker bar before you installed it??? Is it a known good engine?

Comment

Couple questions:
                      Did you leave the transmission in the car? (I am thinking yes)
                      Did you leave the torque converter in the trans? (I am thinking yes, did you check to be sure it was fully seated into position? Sometimes they slip out a bit)
                      Did the engine rotate before being installed?
                      What did you use to keep the old or new engine from rotating while loosening/tightening the torque converter to flexplate bolts?

Take a break if you need to mang, nothing is worse than working angry.
                      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Its jammed together. You're going to have to pull the trans and engine apart a little bit so it will rotate. This is honestly one of the things that GM did right IMO, they used bolts and all you have to do is spin the converter with your fingers until the holes line up.

The other possible issue is that the converter was not fully seated. If it gets jammed inward without being seated all the way, it can break the pump. Do not force anything. If it won't go, find out why. Otherwise you'll find out why because you had to replace something expensive.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Don't do what I did and muscle shit together with a big f'ing breaker bar, turning the converter snout into an egg shape because it wasn't fully seated. Took a new trans pump, converter and a day pissed away dealing with it before the project resumed

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                          '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                          '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Working...
                          X