Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOWDY from The Alamo City of Texas

New Friends,

I found this website by pure accident, while looking for information on a solid WHITE exterior (and maroon 1/2 vinyl top) 1989, one-owner, Grand Marquis LS that has 69,000 original miles, complete service records & that I'll likely buy this afternoon after 1800.

The LS looks like it's 2 years old rather than 27 years old. - I told the elderly/gentleman owner that, IF I buy it, that I'll put antique license plates on the car & will "take especial care" of his "pampered pet".
    (Truthfully, the LS needs very little restoration. = It needs a professional-quality detailing to LOOK "as new".)

Inasmuch as I have to insure the LS, should I buy it this PM, how much should I ask the insurance company for as a "stated value"??
    (I've not often seen a 27 YO car that is this original/nice.)

Btw, do any of you know where I can find a nice/presentable pair of 1989 TEXAS license plates?

yours, satx
    VICTORY OR DEATH

William Barret Travis, LtCol, comdt.
    Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
    Fby 24, 1836

New Friends,

The ONLY flaw concerning the 1989 LS is that some !@#$%^& stole the hubcaps off the car about 3 months ago.

WHAT were the "stock choices" for hubcaps & wheels for the 1989 Marquis LS??

yours, satx
    VICTORY OR DEATH

Fby 24, 1836

Comment

Sound like a good find. White with maroon top (and interior?) is a great combo.

Try eBay for the plates. Brought a set for my 68 on there very reasonable.

Google image search 1989 grand marquis and you will see the wheel options. The best choice imo would be the turbine wheel! You'll of course need the Merc center caps which I am sure someone around here will have. There was also a wire hubcap design, again with unique Mercury centers, and finally the base wheel cover.
      1990 Country Squire - under restoration
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Tiggie,

Sort of a beige CLOTH lounge seating in excellent shape. = I cannot find the name of that color.
        (Do you know of a list of Mercury interior colors for 1989?? - Can't find any on "the usual search engines".)

yours, satx
        VICTORY OR DEATH

Fby 24, 1836

Comment

Standard hub caps were the wire wheel ones for civilian cars. Dog dish (flat face moon) for fleet/police/taxi. I have ONE of the wire caps with one good center cap, 3 retaines, and 4 keyed bolts and the key.

+1 turbines are the best options, but you'd have to remount the tires or get new tires.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

sly,

THANKS.

yours, satx
            VICTORY OR DEATH

Fby 24, 1836

Comment

The hubcap choices were a full wheel cover. A locking wire wheel cover was also available . The turbine wheel with the mercury center cap was optional. Your interior color is "light sandlewood". Other colors are: Titanium, Cabernet, Shadow Blue, Cinnabar.

Comment

The wire caps are the locking ones. The full hubcap for the boxes, I've never seen.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Here are the wheel cover/wheel selections for that year.Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160904_001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1280657

Comment

Welcome! Far as wheels go, the boys are spot on, get some turbines. They're plentiful and probably not terribly expensive. I'll be getting a shipping quote on some this week so once I do i'll give you an idea what a set might cost you. I have 2 sets currently.

Comment

Welcome! We're all looking forward to seeing pics of the '89, if you buy it.
                      '79 Continental Town Car
                      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                        Here are the wheel cover/wheel selections for that year.[ATTACH=CONFIG]45978[/ATTACH]
                        Didn't know I had a "luxury full wheel cover"
                        1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LE SOLD

1972 Ford F100 Custom - 5.9 - Stock

2011 Ford Fusion SE - 2.5 - Stock

2018 Toyota Highlander XLE

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                          The hubcap choices were a full wheel cover. A locking wire wheel cover was also available . The turbine wheel with the mercury center cap was optional. Your interior color is "light sandlewood". Other colors are: Titanium, Cabernet, Shadow Blue, Cinnabar.
                          This. If any portion of the wheel is visible, that's a hubcap. If it's all covered up, you have yourself a "wheel cover."

Welcome to the forum though! Love to see more box people on here!
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                          X