Dropping in from Georgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
    Actually, if I took the tires off, shipping wouldn't be that bad.

Assuming a 15" rim by itself, no tire, weighs about 25 lbs (I'm just figuring, it could be lighter), it could be fitted into a 20"x20"x10" (L x W x H) box since the rim is 15x7, we have to assume packing material to prevent damage.

Using FedEx's shipping and rate calculator, to ship 4, 25 lbs packages (at total 100 assumed pounds), all in the previously mentioned sized boxes, using FedEx Ground (End of Day - 2 Business Days), from my zip code to a zip code in Miami (randomly chosen SE Florida ZIP) would cost about $75.00. Not bad for four decent rims.
    You can PM me, if you wish, about what price you may be seeking for the rims (assuming they would fit) or post here if you wish all to see. Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

as long as they are the large center cap style rims (full hub hole and removable center cap with the wheel on the car), it should fit any box.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Welcome!

For the 1990 140MPH cluster I'm sure there may have been some repinning/rewiring but was there any physical modification needed? From looking at pictures of 1995 and up MGM clusters I've been thinking that they look to be the same size and dimensions as the 90-94 clusters.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
          You can PM me, if you wish, about what price you may be seeking for the rims (assuming they would fit) or post here if you wish all to see. Bobby
          PM coming your way.

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
          Welcome!

For the 1990 140MPH cluster I'm sure there may have been some repinning/rewiring but was there any physical modification needed? From looking at pictures of 1995 and up MGM clusters I've been thinking that they look to be the same size and dimensions as the 90-94 clusters.
          There's a gap at the top and a small notch needs to be cut for the anti-slosh module on the right, but beyond that it will physically bolt in. I've just got to take care of the gap. I've determined since the older cluster doesn't feature a O/D Off light, ABS, or cruise light (digi-dash cars had a feed for that light), I'm going to add those lights via little pilot LEDs in whatever I come up with to stick in there.

I've had this type of cluster and its variants apart so many times, its not funny.

Installation thread of all of this oddness: http://unitedpantherownersassociatio...t-Cluster-Swap
          Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 11-30-2014, 11:37 PM.

My Cars:
          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
          -1979 Ford LTD Landau (38K Miles) - New Cruiser

-1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (343K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (244K Miles) - March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner - Sold (05/2011 - 07/2024)

Comment

I have always liked these clusters and it looks really good in your '97. Do I smell a future Panther Of The Month here???

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Welcome, Very nice Mercury. I am looking for the exact engine cover for my 96 CVPI as yours. Mine is different and two different "mechanics" broke it and didn't tell me. If you (or anyone else ) finds the same engine cover, I am interested.

Comment

Which type are you looking for?
                The proper '96-'97 style:

Or the later style found on the '03+ models:

My Cars:

-1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (343K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                -1997 Grand Marquis LS (244K Miles) - March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner - Sold (05/2011 - 07/2024)

Comment

If the newer style fits without modification, I would like to get that one. It looks good.
                  I would like the 96 type to replace my broken one until I get the newer one.
                  Bottom line, I will take one or both if available.
                  Thanks

Comment

I really like the mix of old and new! You've got that old horizontal speedo inside a modern interior with a sporty steering wheel (note how it's almost flat-bottomed, like the MB AMG cars. Late Fox Mustangs got those too IIRC.) equipped with an airbag. Always thought that was kinda cool, even if I hate analog speedos with a violent passion, haha.

The exterior gets some old and new too. You've got those SICK old school dog-dish style wheels and low profile granny trim on your modern aero-curved panther. You got that contrast down to a fine point! Definitely like where your '97 is headed- lots of practical and useful upgrades coming up!

You see similar contrast with the box Town Cars with the digidash. You have this trick modern electronic instrumentation inside an old looking car (vinyl top, coach lamps, rear 3/4 windows, among other things). Makes me horny.

So yeah. Welcome to GMN man!
                    Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 12-01-2014, 02:06 AM. Reason: Added context
                    '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                    '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                    '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Hey, I've seen that car before! I used your guide when I blacked out my grille. Didn't know you did that speedo swap, though. I like your style.

I'm with you on the brick steering wheel. The Aerostar I learned to drive on had a very similar wheel, so I guess I find it comforting or something. I lucked out on my 95, first year for the final dash design and last for the chunky wheel.

1995 Grand Marquis GS
                      - 156k miles, three-tone until I find my paint
                      1990 Toyota Camry DX - 211k miles, someone else's future barn find
                      1994 Saturn SW2 wagon - wife's car

Originally posted by SVT98t
                      I'll make it fit.
                      I own hammers.

Comment

Welcome! I think that's my favourite colour and front end for aero era panthers. Love the wheels too.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                          Installation thread of all of this oddness: http://unitedpantherownersassociatio...t-Cluster-Swap
                          I've actually seen that thread before, but don't think I really looked at it in much detail so I'll have to read read through the whole thing some time. I think I posted a link to that thread for the pictures in another thread here not long ago.

I've had my cluster apart, or at least out, a few times as well since I've owned my 91 MGM (a little over two years now).
                          First to replace the odo gears, then to replace the lights with blue LEDs, then I replaced the 5 digit odometer with the 6 digit odometer, then I replaced the 85MPH cluster with the 140MPH (had to swap odometer, gears, and LEDs to the new unit), and most recently to address a couple of the LEDs not lighting up due to loose contacts.
                          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                            I've actually seen that thread before, but don't think I really looked at it in much detail so I'll have to read read through the whole thing some time. I think I posted a link to that thread for the pictures in another thread here not long ago.

I've had my cluster apart, or at least out, a few times as well since I've owned my 91 MGM (a little over two years now).
                            First to replace the odo gears, then to replace the lights with blue LEDs, then I replaced the 5 digit odometer with the 6 digit odometer, then I replaced the 85MPH cluster with the 140MPH (had to swap odometer, gears, and LEDs to the new unit), and most recently to address a couple of the LEDs not lighting up due to loose contacts.
                            There's a few things I addressed following that thread that aren't there. I had to replace the stepper motor for the speedometer needle since it would stick with the lights on. I just used a good one from a '94 MGM cluster.

I also soldered in the connectors for the harness and made a "additional light" harness for the ABS, Cruise, and O/D Off light since the 140 head doesn't feature those (date stamp of late '89). I just don't have it hooked up right now since I need to be able to mount said lights in filler piece, which still hasn't been crafted. Eventually that'll be a thing.

And for the record, the only "original" parts from that build is the connectors and the speedometer frame. Everything else has been "upgraded" or generally replaced.

My Cars:

Comment

Welcome to the Party!!
                              That's a very nice ride, mang! Keep up the good work!

-ryan s.
                              08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                              97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                              94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                              73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                              12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                              Originally posted by pantera77
                              Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Welcome, nice to see you over here!
                                1985 LTD Crown Victoria
                                1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
                                1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 360

Past: 1995 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Comment

Working...
                                X