Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropping in from Georgia

Hey guys!

I've browsed through here a few times, and decided to join. I'm on a few other Panther forums (anyone from CVN will know me as Bellwestern80) and even still on some Taurus ones, too. I briefly had a '89 Sable as a failed project, but it'll get to live on with a new owner that will be giving it a wonderful restoration, much like his old '92 Sable, but that's another story.

My ride is my 1997 Grand Marquis LS, which I got back in 2011 when it had about 112K miles on it.

Being a full-time student and part-time employee, I drive a lot, between campus, work, and home, it all adds up, and I'm nearing 146K, so 34K miles isn't bad in three years. That also includes trips with family and vacation travels.

I don't have any recent photos (I've since replaced the headlights), but this is how it looks:

New and old meet a lot on this car, the recent project (somewhat finished), was the horizontal 140 MPH cluster swap along with a 1994 steering wheel. I prefer the "brick" more.

And even for a daily driver, I think it does okay at getting attention:

First Place winner at Carlisle 2014 for Full Size Mercurys 1969 & Up

And on the way I home, I stopped along the Blue Ridge Parkway, somewhere along the 600 odd mile drive.

All the modifications done to it so far have been:
    Exterior Stuff:
    -1992 Grand Marquis Side Markers
    -'Grand Marquis' Fender Badges
    -Black Grille
    -1988 MGM Hood Ornament
    -15" Body Colored Steelies with Dog Dishes and Trim Rings
    -V8 Trunk Badge - Awaiting 281 Badge
    -Front Turn Signal Mod
    -1992 Wiper Cowl for Pin Arms
    -1950s Sparton 12v Horn Set
    -New Headlights

Interior Stuff:
    -1990 Horizontal 140 MPH Speedometer (Modified to have 6-Digit odometer and proper PRN(D)21 gear indicator)
    -1994 H-Bar Mercury Steering Wheel
    -Pioneer Head Unit hooked to Premium Sound System
    -Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror with Compass
    -LCM Turn Signal Relay Bypass
    -1996 4.6L Engine Cover

Motor and Drivetrain:
    -Original 4.6L with a 1997 P71 ECU
    -Original 4R70W
    -1998 6G Alternator (It has over 230K, and output readings are very healthy)
    -Dual Exhaust
    -2.73 Rear End

Stuff planned for the future:
    -3.55 Rear End
    -Finishing a proper filler piece for speedometer
    -Finishing illuminated front door reflectors
    -Heated Mirrors
    -Aluminum Drive Shaft
    -New Mufflers
    -Transmission Cooler

Its a fun car to be able to drive each day.

Future plans might also include another Panther, but that'll be something to be seen about. If it does work, I might be picking up a '91 Colony Park in a few months, since I'm looking for a capable hauling/towing vehicle that can also be used for daily tasks, too.

Well, that's my spiel of an introduction, and I hope to become more entwined with the community.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1979 Ford LTD Landau (38K Miles) - New Cruiser

-1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (343K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (244K Miles) - March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner - Sold (05/2011 - 07/2024)

Welcome! It's about time you showed up here!
    1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Welcome aboard!! VERY nice GM. What did you do with the original rims??? Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Never saw a 140 Speedometer in a "newer" GM. REALY nice touch!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

Originally posted by HiFiMerc View Post
          Welcome! It's about time you showed up here!
          This.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
            Welcome aboard!! VERY nice GM. What did you do with the original rims??? Bobby
            They're camped out in the garage with worn out tires, but the rims themselves are in very good condition.

My Cars:

-1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (343K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (244K Miles) - March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner - Sold (05/2011 - 07/2024)

Comment

Welcome!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                They're camped out in the garage with worn out tires, but the rims themselves are in very good condition.
                I assume they are 16" wheels??

Comment

I assume they are 16" wheels??
                  Nope, factory 15" wheels. I don't need them, since I prefer the steelie + dog dish combo better.

My Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                    Nope, factory 15" wheels. I don't need them, since I prefer the steelie + dog dish combo better.
                    Too bad shipping would cost too much - could possibly use them on my '87 GM - I "think" the bolt pattern is the same????

Comment

yes... bolt pattern is the same for all panthers... it's the hub that changes... and only on protrusion. The boxes have the longest hub protrusion and the whales have the shortest. The hub diameter is the same IIRC. This mainly affects allow fits with the small centercaps (ala HPP wheels and repops)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Just run Turbines on everything and not worry about it.
                        1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Welcome! That's an awesome daily driver
                          '79 Continental Town Car
                          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                            yes... bolt pattern is the same for all panthers... it's the hub that changes... and only on protrusion. The boxes have the longest hub protrusion and the whales have the shortest. The hub diameter is the same IIRC. This mainly affects allow fits with the small centercaps (ala HPP wheels and repops)
                            Then, it appears they would be an exact fit without altering anything??

Comment

Too bad shipping would cost too much - could possibly use them on my '87 GM - I "think" the bolt pattern is the same????
                              Actually, if I took the tires off, shipping wouldn't be that bad.

Assuming a 15" rim by itself, no tire, weighs about 25 lbs (I'm just figuring, it could be lighter), it could be fitted into a 20"x20"x10" (L x W x H) box since the rim is 15x7, we have to assume packing material to prevent damage.

Using FedEx's shipping and rate calculator, to ship 4, 25 lbs packages (at total 100 assumed pounds), all in the previously mentioned sized boxes, using FedEx Ground (End of Day - 2 Business Days), from my zip code to a zip code in Miami (randomly chosen SE Florida ZIP) would cost about $75.00. Not bad for four decent rims.

Then, it appears they would be an exact fit without altering anything??
                              They would be. The covers these use should be dished far enough out there wouldn't be an issue.

This is how they look:
                              Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 11-30-2014, 11:01 PM.

My Cars:

Comment

Working...
                              X