Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Texas

Hello everyone.

I was into imports and I wanted to try something else, so I got a 99 grand marquis gs in wedge wood. I was looking for ideas and came to this site. You have some good info on here and the people sounded cool, so I joined. I hope to learn a lot and meet some cool people.

have good one

Welcome!

I can't really help with the newer cars, but there are others on here who really know the newer cars.
    What kind of things are you looking to do with the car? Make it a reliable daily driver or something more?
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I want to make it reliable daily driver with a little extra with a sleeper look. My plan is dual exhaust, steeda pulleys. locking diff, and pi intake. Maybe more.

Comment

I would be looking for a gear swap, 3:27's, 3:55's are in the JY for the taking, complete swap may be the best way to go.
        Nothing makes a bigger difference than gears.
        Maybe a spring swap? using HPP or Marauder springs.
        Swaybars? HPP, PI or Marauder.
        A Marauder style air box and tube from an 04 and up PI
        Last edited by mcninetyone; 11-25-2014, 05:37 PM.

Comment

dual exhaust for sure... +1 rear gears (you'll need to swap out the speedometer gear that's on the VSS in the trans for the speedometer to read correctly).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Welcome to gmn!
            i am a veteran member but i also recently purchased a 2006 town car. We will all have to learn together! I suggest finding a shop manual and evtm for your car so you can better understand it.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
              I would be looking for a gear swap, 3:27's, 3:55's are in the JY for the taking, complete swap may be the best way to go.
              Nothing makes a bigger difference than gears.
              Maybe a spring swap? using HPP or Marauder springs.
              Swaybars? HPP, PI or Marauder.
              A Marauder style air box and tube from an 04 and up PI
              Originally posted by sly View Post
              dual exhaust for sure... +1 rear gears (you'll need to swap out the speedometer gear that's on the VSS in the trans for the speedometer to read correctly).
              Good info on the rear gears. That is the kind of things I needed to know. I want to get kyb pi shocks. I want the car to ride firm but not harsh, so I don't know if I will get springs. The car came with swaybars already, and, I took out the intake silencer, so I'm good on that. Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
              Welcome to gmn!
              i am a veteran member but i also recently purchased a 2006 town car. We will all have to learn together! I suggest finding a shop manual and evtm for your car so you can better understand it.
              Thanks. I always get those for my cars, cause I do all the work myself.
              Last edited by badgeless; 11-25-2014, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

As far as the intake stuff goes, we seem to be in the same boat [i.e. restrictive trumpet removed, intake manifold replaced with NPI manifold but interested in PI manifold (PI in this context meaning "performance improved", not to be confused with "police interceptor" in other contexts)]. FWIW, here's what I've learned about this stuff so far.

The next step up from removing the trumpet would be getting the '04+ CVPI air box (with integrated larger MAF) and zip tube, but you would need a "tune" for your computer to work with it. This is supposed to get you more HP.

As you may be aware, there are certain modifications required when putting a PI manifold on an NPI engine, though I haven't seen any reference to needing a tune with the PI manifold. The PI manifold won't necessarily provide more power by itself (except maybe at high RPM's), but the engine will breathe easier. I also saw a reference to better fuel economy.

For our cars, the only other worthwhile PI upgrade seems to be putting in PI camshafts, for which I would presume a tune would be needed. Apparently, if you put in entire PI heads, you'd get higher compression but would have to use premium gas. From what I've seen so far, upgrading just the camshafts will give about the same performance improvement while still allowing use of 87 octane gas. (I've read about certain years having timing chain tensioner issues, but I don't think that applies to your year.)

You might want to consider a J-MOD too. It's the same concept as a shift kit, but you do it yourself.
                Last edited by IPreferDIY; 11-28-2014, 11:46 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

btw... where abouts in Texas? I know of a few wedgewood areas in more than one corner of the state. I'm on the north side of DFW.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Welcome!
                    '79 Continental Town Car
                    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Welcome to the Party!!

-ryan s.
                      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                      Originally posted by pantera77
                      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Working...
                      X