Greetings from Central Florida!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Central Florida!

Hello everyone! New owner of a 2000 Grand Marquis GS, moving on from a '96 Sedan DeVille. Since this isn't just a 'say hi and show us your ride' thread, I'll also go ahead and ask a few questions:

- What is the forum's preferred aftermarket trim supplier? I need to replace the body trim (chrome finish is peeling off), and might as well get some door trim while I'm at it.
    - Is there any particular magic formula for cleaning the fabric seats? The velour on the sides of the seats cleans up fine, but it seems I might need something other than water and elbow grease for the seat covers themselves.
    - Any parts I should consider getting if I find any on sale? I know about the suspension issues on the Panther frames, but I'm not familiar about any other long-term problems.

Thanks in advance for any answers I get if I'm not instantaneous about responding, and have a great weekend/Halloween!

Welcome!

If you still have a plastic coolant crossover on the intake manifold, you should plan on changing the intake manifold to one with an aluminum crossover at some point. The plastic one eventually deteriorates and leaks (sometimes massively), and this is a big known issue for these cars.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

original trim... junk yards. some of it is available aftermarket, like the grills, but that's about it. Might contact a local body shop to see if they can get some trim for you.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Welcome, as for the seat stains, when I used to detail I would you a 70 water/'30 dawn or car wash soap mix and a lot of elbow grease to remove stains. The use a vacuum to remove the suds and water left behind. +1 on the intake issue, get it out of the car asap to save yourself the headache.
        sigpicJosephine-1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS-Bone stock.....for now

Comment

Thank you all for the warm reception! I'll have to check about the intake, I know a copy of the recall notice was with all of the car's paperwork, so it may have been done. I'll have to dry the Dawn+Water combination; I do have a can of Tuff Stuff laying around, but I'd rather go with something less harsh sounding first.

I'll see what I can do about junkyard trim, but I know I've seen the side-panel chrome (IE in the bumper and door inlays) for sale for around 10 dollars a piece. Every other GM I've seen down here that isn't garage kept seems to have the same peeling chrome problem.

Comment

Welcome to the party!
            '79 Continental Town Car
            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

I'm not sure how much of an issue rust would be in Florida, but there's two big weak spots. One is a part of the frame on the front end near the catalytic converters. I don't have an image or link handy, but it's a well known problem. Another weak spot is the front fenders. If you apply rust inhibitor, you should pay particular attention to those two spots. For the fenders, you can take out the fender liner bolts and shoot some rust inhibitor through those holes. You basically want to get the inside of the seam at the wheel well lip.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
              mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Welcome!
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Welcome!

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
                  George Burns

Comment

Welcome to the Party!!

-ryan s.
                    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                    Originally posted by pantera77
                    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Working...
                    X