Hello from South Dakota!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from South Dakota!

Hey folks! I just picked up an 85 LTD CV about a week ago for $950. Car has 97k original miles on it and the paper trail leading back to the date of purchase new in 85 to prove it. Runs and drives decent. EVERYTHING works! This blew me away that everything in the car is functional. Cruise control, original stereo/speakers, clock, AC (converted), light under the hood... It all works.

I've always had a thing for big, old cars. But never paid these any mind at all. Always thought the back end was ugly as sin, and just never had an interest in them. Well, I bought this one after test driving it. For the price, I'm sure I couldn't have found better. Since I've had it, it's growing on me. Not sure what it is about it, but every day I like it a little more.

I've ordered a Sunpro triple gauge set, and I'm plotting dual exhaust, new fenders (the ones on it are rusted through above the wheel wells.), adding speakers to the door, stereo, a dash cover... I do, however, have some questions:

1. What motor is in it? I know it's either a 302 or a 351W, but I can't seem to find much info on it. Just when I think I've decided it's a 302, I'll see a random post somewhere about the 351 in their 85 CV... I'm pretty sure it's a 302, but...

2. What do I need to know about exhaust? I'm planning on grabbing some headers from a junk yard, and possibly an H pipe as well. But I'm not sure what I'm looking for besides a 302. (if that's what it is)

3. Any good sites for parts?

I'm sure there are more questions, but it's early, and I worked all night. lol

Welcome to the Party!!

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Welcome!

For $950 you're right, it would be extremely difficult to find anything better based on your description. Once the price on a car gets that low it can be pretty rare that everything works.

302 and 351 were both options for these cars, I'm not sure if I can help identify which engine it has. Maybe with pictures but even then I know there are plenty of people on here that would be better at identifying what you have. Same goes for exhaust, I'll leave that to someone more knowledgeable than myself.

For parts rockauto.com often has some great prices and many people on here, myself included, have ordered plenty of parts through them. Ebay is my next source for online parts, but not everyone is comfortable with Ebay.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Welcome!

+1 on RockAuto for parts. Just be careful with their multiple warehouse shipping when selecting stuff. That can rack up the shipping prices.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
          Welcome!

For $950 you're right, it would be extremely difficult to find anything better based on your description. Once the price on a car gets that low it can be pretty rare that everything works.

302 and 351 were both options for these cars, I'm not sure if I can help identify which engine it has. Maybe with pictures but even then I know there are plenty of people on here that would be better at identifying what you have. Same goes for exhaust, I'll leave that to someone more knowledgeable than myself.

For parts rockauto.com often has some great prices and many people on here, myself included, have ordered plenty of parts through them. Ebay is my next source for online parts, but not everyone is comfortable with Ebay.
          I'm guessing, by the performance alone, it's a 302. But I have nothing to compare it to, so I could be wrong.

I've looked around RockAuto, and they seem to have the best selection, but not what I'm really looking for right now. I need clean fenders mainly. The rest of the car is rust free or only has little spots of surface rust. Junkyards around here either don't have any of them, or they are rusted out. Ebay I have a few issues with, but if I can't find what I want for a reasonable price I usually try there, but there aren't any on there either. :/
          Last edited by RiggRMortis; 09-30-2014, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Welcome! I don't think there's any aftermarket fenders for box models. If you own a '92+ you can order replacement fenders from some junkyards. They are made overseas of course.
            '79 Continental Town Car
            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
              Welcome! I don't think there's any aftermarket fenders for box models. If you own a '92+ you can order replacement fenders from some junkyards. They are made overseas of course.
              I don't, unfortunately. I managed to find a junkyard that has a set with very little rust, and no rust-through, but the guy wants more than I paid for the whole car for the set. I'm guessing he knows they rust badly, and expects a kings ransom for the gold he holds. lol

Comment

🔤on a $1000 car , what,s wrong with a bit of fibre tape and bonds to repair the existing fenders, and color coded spray can from Sherwin Williams auto paint. Total under $100 and a few hours of elbow grease.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Greetings welcome to Gmn where in South Dakota are you from ? I've traveled through during my trucking days I like the rapid city area

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                  302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                  k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Originally posted by gabegt90 View Post
                    Greetings welcome to Gmn where in South Dakota are you from ? I've traveled through during my trucking days I like the rapid city area
                    Chamberlain. Soon to be Mitchell. Used to be Rapid city.

Comment

I used to take 212 From belle fourche all the way in to south east Montana talk about another world out there of nothing ness lol was beautiful out there lots of Indian reservations. I used to spend the night in beresford a lot

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                      302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                      k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Beresford has pretty much dried up. They are down to one gas station, no restaurants and a motel that's only open half the year.

So I was looking through the the paperwork that was in the glove box, and I found in the maintenance record book, that it has a 351. But it was written in there, not printed. I can't seem to figure out what motor is in it, and it's driving me nuts.

Comment

take a pic (up close of the lower intake showing the distributor and thermostat housing and maybe a little of the heads). Thermostat will be easier to get at on a 351 than a 302 as it sits a little higher and clears the timing cover.

This is of course if I remember correctly.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'll snap some pics tomorrow if I have time.

Which is the better motor? I was hoping it was the 351 for the extra power, but after some research it looks like there's not much difference after they dumbed it down for emissions.

Comment

for the stock engine... not much. For building up from the stock engine, the 351 as you can get much better numbers out of it in the end. For spending money on... the 302 can be built for a little less, but not by much. The same heads will fit both.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X