Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

99 Grand Marquis Alternator issues PLEASE HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

99 Grand Marquis Alternator issues PLEASE HELP!

I have a 1999 Grand Marquis, the other day while driving all of my lights went out, dash board,headlights, and the gauges stopped working. Got it home and it shut off. Just replaced the Alternator with a remanufactured one off a 98 Crown vic. Charged the battery and turned it on, battery only registered around 12.2 volts while car was running. Dropped down to 7-8 when i opened the door to check inside and went back up to 12, but I:k am told it should be in the 13.5 range. after about a half hour it dropped to 6volts and shut off. Could this be a blown fuse? Or the voltage regulator.
    Please help!

The voltage regulator is part of the alternator. Double check to make sure you have good connections at both ends of the charge cable. The charge cable does have a fuse or fuse link somewhere, you should find it inline with the cable ( I think - it may have a fuse in the fusebox). Make sure the plug for the small wires is tight too. If all that checks out, you'd need to probe the small wires to make sure the ECM is telling it to charge. I don't know the specifics of testing that, I'd have to look it up.

Its always very possible that you got a bad 'new' alternator, don't hesitate to take it back and ask them to bench test it for you.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I took it to advanced auto parts and it tested good. I believe the fuse is #2 for the starter relay, generator, ignition switch. does that sound like the one?

Comment

Disconnected and reconnected the cables, and took out the fuse and put it back in. Now running in high 12 low 13V. Also Since replacing the alternator there is a small clicking noise that i can hear when I am sitting in the car, not the cd player. Any ideas what this could be?

Comment

Electrical interference from the alternator?

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I don't know what it is, took the fuse out, reconnected the cables. When I started it this morning it read 13.5V while running. Turned everything on and it dropped to 13.1V and stayed in that range even after I turned off everything.

Comment

there was a bad connection somewhere along the line and you fixed it by reconnecting everything. BTDT PITA.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
              X