Lost keys to 87 MGM......what now?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost keys to 87 MGM......what now?????

Well i finally got my 87 Grand Marquis. I have had it about two weeks but havent done anything really with it since its not registered yet and i have been busy with work and the weather has been crappy. But now it has warmed up and i wanted to wash her and get her ready for the road, but now i lost the damn keys!!!!!! Son of a B****!!!

Of course i had both sets to her on the same damn key ring along with the original key code tags...... and now i lost them.... i have torn apart everything looking for them...
    So now what do i do??? Can i call a dealership and see what they can do?
    Any suggestions or experience with this?
    NEED HELP ASAP!!!

Is the car locked?
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Door key, ignition key, or both?

If it were door keys only, after getting into the car the way police and towtruck drivers do, should be a simple matter to take a cylinder to your local locksmith and have a key made.

Ignition key, can always consider chiseling the cylinder to bits and installing one you have the key to.

Or maybe locksmiths are able to make you a key on-site? I've never had a reason to ask.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Yep.... of course the doors are locked....LOL
        my luck!

I have a ton of paperwork for the car, original winodw sticker and this plastic card with numbers onit and the vin, but i dont know what the other numbers mean?
        could they be the key codes?
        I really dont want to take the car apart....

Comment

oh yeah and it is both the ignition and door lock keys.....

Comment

Look on the bright side: if you don't like my approach, at least tomorrow's Monday and your local stealerships should be open and can tell you whether they can help or not. I've heard rumors that various things can be ascertained from the documentation you have .... :shrugs:

If all else fails, my approach WILL solve your problem. But seriously, once you get off the phone with the dealer, call the locksmith and see what he can do to help you out.

Comment

just get into the car, towtruck guys use this inflateable thingy and then use a really big aluminumwire to unlock the car. or if your really handy with a coat hanger ,you can always goto autozone and pickup a new lock cylinder with two keys for about 27 bucks
              89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

If you have never used a slim jim to enter a car before, do not try it now. My brother locked the keys in his Seville one time, and a cop trashed the lock rods and bushings in every door trying to get it open. The doors could not be opened from the inside, as the handles (both inside and out), had also been detached from their actuation rods. You can do alot more damage than good.

I had to go get the car, and spent the better part of a day opening it, and fixing the lock and actuation rods. I did manage to open the door from the outside, using only a coat hanger, a nylon wedge, and a pair of needle nose pliers.

Just pay someone to unlock the car. Have the doors re-keyed (you could esily remove the lock and take it to a locksmith). If you have the VIN and can prove ownership, the dealership can probably cut you new keys. You are not the first person this has happened to. They may be able to cut you door keys as well. It'd probably help if you know someone in the dealership, but with the proper documentation, I don't see why it'd be a problem.
                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

i would first try to get into the car to check for your keys. its very possible that they are in there somewhere.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                  1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                  1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                  2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                  2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if a good locksmith could visit in his van and cut correct keys on the spot. Might cost a few buckaroos, but it might well be worth it.

Comment

If you have power door locks that work, and vent windows. Then you can access your door lock switch by feeding a wire hanger through and hit unlock. You don't think you locked the keys in the car do you?

Comment

well i called the dealership and they said they cant do anything older than a 2002...!?
                        how is that possible? so anyways i called a locksmith and he said he would come out tomorrow. He looked it up in his book and said it looks like he will be able to make new ones... so lets hope and pray!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Caddydaddy13 View Post
                          well i called the dealership and they said they cant do anything older than a 2002...!?
                          how is that possible? so anyways i called a locksmith and he said he would come out tomorrow. He looked it up in his book and said it looks like he will be able to make new ones... so lets hope and pray!!!!
                          They really don't support their old stuff. They have pretty much no parts for these cars anymore. Do you have power locks?

Comment

It's Ford. They honestly want their junk to be on the road no longer than 10 years max. :shrugs:

Comment

i think 5 years is a more realistic number. they need to make money! lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Working...
                              X