Greetings From the Montana Front Range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings From the Montana Front Range

Ok, first, let me introduce myself, and tell you about the first "New 2 Me" Ford
    I have ever owned. I am a born and raised true Montanan. But, that does not mean that I am some kind of "country hick"! I spent from 1988 until 2007, then on and off until 2009 until my failing health forced me off the highway. 2.4 million Documented accident free miles. I have been, since 1997 pretty much a certified Chrysler fan, a 97 Concorde LXi, 125,000 trouble free miles, ran/looked like new when I traded her in 2005 for a 2005 Chrysler Sebring GTC Convertible. I drove that cute red ragtop for 60,000 absolute trouble free enjoyable miles until last summer, when, after a hip replacement, and other real bad joint issues made every mile I drove her painful due to the way I fit in it. Sadly, as I also needed a car that could tow a trailer with up to 3 motorcycles on it, as restoring older Japanese bikes is my "paying hobby" I spent 5 weeks looking every day on the usual internet listing sites, and toured the used car lots around Billings MT (our largest city at 125,000) On October 4th, I literally struck gold! I found a 63,000 Documented Original mile, near showroom condition, without the "fake wood sides" Ford Crown
    Victoria Country Squire Wagon with the EFI 302 and VERY long legged 4 SPD
    OD auto. (24 MPG @ 60-65 MPH) I think I got a fair deal, The price on the wagon was $4000, it booked high list in the NADA Guide for $3750, my Sebring
    booked at $7500 High, as they were not very popular and don't hold their value much. The dealer wrote me a check for $3250 and the title to the wagon, which with winter coming (worst time to trade in a convertible) I
    thought was fair. Since I have bought her, I have had the entire cooling system flushed twice as it looked like coffee with creamer in it at first, and STILL loked almost that bad after the first flush! Afetr the second one, it looks nice and clean now. I also had the rear drum brakes renewed, the front discs were almost new. I had all new hoses under the hood changed, and the oil changed to mobile one 10W40.I also had a set of real mechanical gauges installed (amp/coolant temp/oil pressure) As I am on Disability (believe me, I have tried to return to driving truck twice, and failed due to my health both times, I am NOT milking any system) I can only do so much each month until I
    get her to the reliability level I want. Next month I am going to change the Plugs and wires. This is what my first question is. Does anyone know what the standard make and part # the OEM plugs are? I want to actually switch to the Bosch Platinum Multi Tip plugs, for better burning of the fuel/air mixture
    and cleaner emissions. And, is there a better flowing air filter that fits in the stock airbox? Also, I am sure that there must be a better chip for the engine Management Computer. One that will give it more power, without totally killing the MPG economy. Also, does any one know what the maximum trailer weight it can pull? I have had a class one hitch installed (4,000LB capacity)
    as I said, I have a small trailer that can haul up to 3 loaded 1000cc+ baggers. Any advice from other mechanically inclined owners of this car would be VERY much appreciated! You can also email me at the following:
    glenn.merideth@gmail.com

Welcome and thanks for the intro.

I didnt catch the year of your wagon but that would help in directing you what you can do.
    Chips are a myth for stock cars so that is a no go and the stock air filter configuration is not bad. Some people just switch over to a K&N and call it a day..whether anything is gained that way is up in the air. No idea on the plugs but one thing I would recommend is having a transmission cooler installed if one is not already present to help take the stress off of your transmission while hauling your customers bikes.

There are a couple things 86 and up cars can be helped with for a little kick in the but so I will elaborate a bit more once we know what we are working with.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Welcome!

Are you a dental floss tycoon?

Stock anything on that car is Motorcraft brand. Plugs I think are aswf42c I think. Its on the emissions label on the fan shroud. Honestly I doubt you'll get much out of fancy plugs. I've personally had excellent results out of basic copper Motorcraft plugs. I've had kinda bad luck out of Bosch platinum plugs in other things before but I've never tried them in a Ford motor.

The air filter really isn't a big restriction as long as you're using a clean air filter of some heard-of brand. If you've got single exhaust, that will be a problem. The stock single is just a massive restriction. The ECM won't do much for you either. The problem is the engine itself. Its got lousy heads, a lousy cam, and a not particularly good intake. Without opening the motor, your power comes from exhaust and replacing the upper intake with an HO one for the larger throttle bodyand better flowing intake. You may also have some gains by changing the rear gears out if you're planning to tow, but you may lose some fuel economy on the highway.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Just noticed in the op that the wagon is EFI......Gadget got you covered with a HO upper intake though. In all honesty I believe the car is fine with just dual exhaust some gears and a trans cooler to tow. I'd leave the engine as is.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Another vote for copper plugs! Dual exhaust ftw! Instead of a chip, spend the money on a transgo shift kit- much better driveability and durability + the trans cooler...

Welcome mang

Comment

welcome to GMN!

heres another vote for copper plugs.
            1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
            1994 MGM GS Montigua
            2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
            2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

welcome to gmn can't wait to see pics of the wagon 5000 pounds is the max safe towing rating for these cars I so want to visit big sky country

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
              302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
              k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

you can go to 6000 pounds but, require a load carry hitch, and full tow pack.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Welcome to the party!!

-ryan s.
                  08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                  97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                  94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                  73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                  12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                  Originally posted by pantera77
                  Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Welcome
                    '79 Continental Town Car
                    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

to GMN! Always good to see new members out west. Looking forward to seeing some pics of the wagon!

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
                      1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
                      1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Welcome! Class I 4000lb? Most class II are good to 3500. Might want to double check that to be safe. Class I usually just attach to the bumper. Class II and up are your receiver type hitches.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
                        Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
                        Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
                        NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

class I hitches are reciver type now(cars dont have real bumpers lol). and your right, i suspect he has a class III if he has 4000lb towing ability.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Working...
                          X