Comment

welcome to gmn mang

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
      302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
      k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

oil blockage?

ok.. lemme do a quick recap of the day.

put air in the tires, siphoned fuel tank, new battery, fresh fuel, checked fluids. changed the oil and filter not once, but twice.

before I attempted to start the vehicle, I checked the oil (even though I had just changed it). the level was wayyy up the dipstik. I had put in maybe 6 quarts at the most. 5 + one in the filter (one to many yes) but not so much to have oil inches above the max fill line on the stick. So i loosened the plug to let some oil out, and it was again pitch black. At this point the car had not fired, just rotated via starter. So i got another filter and another 5qts of oil. I drained the oil again, and refilled. Again the stick shows that there are 5 qts or so too many in the motor.

So.. I dont want to run the motor based on the stick because i know i drained several quarts of oil out of it. but im afraid there may be some blockage or something that could blow the rings or kill the motor. Ill make a new thread on this question. pics or vids comeing soon,
        max

Comment

Originally posted by Mad MAx View Post
          ok.. lemme do a quick recap of the day.

put air in the tires, siphoned fuel tank, new battery, fresh fuel, checked fluids. changed the oil and filter not once, but twice.

before I attempted to start the vehicle, I checked the oil (even though I had just changed it). the level was wayyy up the dipstik. I had put in maybe 6 quarts at the most. 5 + one in the filter (one to many yes) but not so much to have oil inches above the max fill line on the stick. So i loosened the plug to let some oil out, and it was again pitch black. At this point the car had not fired, just rotated via starter. So i got another filter and another 5qts of oil. I drained the oil again, and refilled. Again the stick shows that there are 5 qts or so too many in the motor.

So.. I dont want to run the motor based on the stick because i know i drained several quarts of oil out of it. but im afraid there may be some blockage or something that could blow the rings or kill the motor. Ill make a new thread on this question. pics or vids comeing soon,
          did you drain both ends of the pan? if you then just make sure have 5 quart sin there and let er rip! fresh oil will appear a bit on the clear side on the stick aftwer an oil change if its coming out black that good then it means its cleaning out the gunk in there, if it smells like gas alittle bit then it probably over due for a change, but you just changed yours so yoru good mang
          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

I'm confused. How exactly would a dipstick indicate that you have 10 quarts of oil in the engine instead of five? Obviously, it'd read quite high, but it's hardly calibrated except for the crosshatched area right around the normal fill point.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
              I'm confused. How exactly would a dipstick indicate that you have 10 quarts of oil in the engine instead of five? Obviously, it'd read quite high, but it's hardly calibrated except for the crosshatched area right around the normal fill point.
              well... i feel that the cross hatch area on the dipstick indicates a 1qt variance in level. so using that as a mesure i feel i can extrapolate the number of additional quarts by the level of the oil above the full mark based on dividing that hight by the number of times the cross hatch area would fit into it.

tldr - if x is 5 then 2x is 10
              Last edited by Mad MAx; 12-29-2010, 02:01 AM. Reason: tldr
              max

Comment

Working...
              X