Hello from Ohio...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Ohio...

Hello all. I own a 92 aero mercury, manufactured in April of 91. Wondering how difficult a 5.0 swap would be. I'm looking to go bureted, because computers aren't as reliable in my eyes. Anyone else done a similar swap? Tips would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance,
    FX4Wheelin
    If great minds think alike, then where do we fit in? Snug is loose, Tight is tight, and Too Tight is broke, and if It's broke, it needed replaced...

yea we did it, but mine is efi......carb would be easier, but 4bbl carbs and intakes, and mechanical fuel pumps cost money

welcome to gmn

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Welcome. Currently I'm doing a carbed HO swap on a box, that was CFI. Still in the early phase of the swap, just starting to put parts on the HO so I'm not sure what kind of issues i'm going to have.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
      Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
      Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
      NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

Welcome!
        Lets Go Pens!

Comment

Can I use frame side mounts from a Box? And also, the trans and converter will bolt on?
          If great minds think alike, then where do we fit in? Snug is loose, Tight is tight, and Too Tight is broke, and if It's broke, it needed replaced...

Comment

Not to mention, carbed motors = easier to tune, and have less wires.

Comment

yea. need to pick up a pr of motor mounts and a trans mount for a 79-91 panther

yes since you have what they call a bastard block car (4.6 manufactured up until 3/92) it will bolt right up, the bastard block uses the same bellhousing as the 302

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Very interested to see your swappage get underway. I like carbs too, even though SEFI is better in some ways. One guy who got your idea probably can't do it with a carb because he lives in Smog Heck, unlike more-American locations where no one official ever looks under your hood.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Well, considering I just bought a house and my son will be six months old in two days, it will take me some time. Thankfully we have four pull-a-part locations and an abundance of junkyards here in Ohio.

Comment

And, I also love the fact that Summit Racing is less than an hour away, and Jeg's is an hour and a half from me.

Comment

I've been getting most of my parts form summit. Got the edelbrock manifold combo with 600cfm carb, and bought a nitrous base plate.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
                      Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
                      Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
                      NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

Originally posted by fx4wheelin View Post
                        And, I also love the fact that Summit Racing is less than an hour away, and Jeg's is an hour and a half from me.
                        where are you at? You can't be more than half an hour away from me. Summit is about an hour half from me, and jegs is about an hour and a half.
                        Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                        New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Originally posted by fx4wheelin View Post
                          Well, considering I just bought a house and my son will be six months old in two days, it will take me some time. Thankfully we have four pull-a-part locations and an abundance of junkyards here in Ohio.

6 months? So you'll actually have a little bit of time to work on the car for the next year-and-a-half or so, whether during naps or during outdoor exersaucer time in a supervisable area. My little guy is nearing 3 and he's been carefully preventing me from accomplishing much since he quit taking long-long naps as a matter of course and was no longer content to sit in the saucer. At least now I know he'll stay sufficiently close by that I don't have to worry so much about him wandering off and getting hit by cars.
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                            yea we did it, but mine is efi......carb would be easier, but 4bbl carbs and intakes, and mechanical fuel pumps cost money

welcome to gmn
                            I'm not gonna go the mechanical route. I'll be looking for a 5.0 h.o. to just remove the intake and install a carbureted intake on. All that's needed is an inline fuel pressure regulator, and the stock electric pump can be used. We converted a buddies 89 mustang ft to 'buretion that way when his roller crapped out. (I got the block for a massive build down the road.) If I swap a pushrod small block into it now, the monster roller will be easy to install later.

Comment

Welcome!
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X