Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

carb still spraying fuel..any ideas?(round 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb still spraying fuel..any ideas?(round 2)

Hey i posted last week with an 85 grand marquis carbureted i switcged the carb with a working one, wires, plugs, cap and rotoe, alternator and egulator, still getting the same results, car keeps trying to turn over, try a few times, give it a little gas and then its all over the place.

Where is the gas coming from, exactly? Do you know the condition of the new carb beyond a shadow of a doubt?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

im thinking timeing chain jumped

Comment

I looked into the timing chain skipping, and i have a buddie comming down to see, but as far as ive heard( im down with corrections of course) the chain usually doesnt slip till over 200 000 kms, im at 161 500,so maybe, Then new carb was on a car last month, im no expert, but it in much better condition compared to the one i had, (not so much char) If you are looking at the carb, there are two tubes sticking up, about a half in in diameter each, that is where the gas im comming from.
        also i cannot figure out how to get pics form my comp. to this site it always want a web site.

Comment

you replaced the pressure regulator?
          Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

i don\t mean to sound new? but the what?? help?

Comment

A factory carbureted system won't have a separate fuel pressure regulator; the mechanical fuel pump on the driver's side of the front cover was designed to deliver fuel at the required 5-6 psi to start with. The first post appeared to be referring to an external voltage regulator, which is kind of part of the charging system.

Interesting that you got a post-'82 Marquis with a carb ... did it come with the 5.8L engine? Just curious, since 302s all got some sort of fuel injection starting in '83 except for the '83-'85 five-speed Mustang GT, and 351 Marquis aren't something I hear about very often.

I'm with Nathan in MN; sounds like we need to know more specifically what's happening and under what conditions. Don't suppose you have a picture of your carb you could post and use to show us where the fuel is coming from?

I'm pretty sure Blaze86Vic posted a tutorial somewhere for folks having issues uploading stuff.... I'm having trouble finding it right now, but I'm sure it's here somewhere ......
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

The canadian Grand Marquis were carborated till 1985 then they started with fuel injection on some and straight carbs on the others. Mine is a Carb 302. we have swapped the wires both directions to see if the timeing was really out, there are two wholes in the carb infrot of the top butterfly, only other opening then the butterfly.
                Attached Files

Comment

so my friend has left, still couldnd get it going, we bought a brand new ignition box, and its definitly sparking better when we check, but it still wont make the engin take off. there is now a lot less gass comming out of those whole, but a bit is. Just to recap, Swapped the carb,( could still be that, but veru unlikly was working on an mgm like a month ago and physically much better thatn mine), brand new ignition box, new regulator, new altornator, batterry is good, new dist. cap, and rotoe, wires and plugs, As for timeing, maybe the chain snapped becasue we can spin that cap a good bit and even smap the order one each way and it barely saounds different. I really dont want to take it to a garage. but i really donno. there are pics in the last response the far right one has a good view of the two whole infront of the flap on top.

Comment

probly is the chain, they are easy to do if you have the tools

Comment

Is it a stream of gas or a puff of air with fuel mixed in?

Does the distributor turn when you turn the motor over?

we can spin that cap a good bit
                      Do you mean you can turn the whole distributor by hand?
                      Last edited by 85MercPark; 04-04-2008, 09:57 AM.
                      2000 Grand Marquis LS
                      2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
                      1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
                      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
                      Mercury Owners Group member
                      Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Originally posted by Leiscustoms View Post
                        The canadian Grand Marquis were carborated till 1985 then they started with fuel injection on some and straight carbs on the others. Mine is a Carb 302. we have swapped the wires both directions to see if the timeing was really out, there are two wholes in the carb infrot of the top butterfly, only other opening then the butterfly.
                        Okay, interesting. Convenient for you that it apparently came with a 2150 and not a VV. How do you mean swapped wires? Do you mean that you moved all eight spark plug wires over one position on the cap? That does make it sound like the ignition timing may be way off somehow. I assume you've done the routine of pulling the distributor, finding cylinder #1 top dead center, and reinstalling? On the second engine I built, I actually screwed with it for two or three days before realizing I'd stabbed the distributor 180 degrees off.

Originally posted by 85MercPark View Post
                        Does the distributor turn when you turn the motor over?

Do you mean you can turn the whole distributor by hand?
                        I think he means he loosened the holddown clamp and turned the distributor body so that the timing should have changed .........

Leiscustoms, I assume you've removed the distributor cap while cranking the engine over, either with the starter or by hand, and seen the rotor rotate? Just wondering, since I'm still unclear on whether the thing is spinning or not. If the distributor rotor isn't turning when the engine is, the next step is definitely to pull a valve cover (preferably driver's side) and see if the valves are opening and closing. If not, yes, the timing chain is definitely broken or otherwise being useless. If the distributor isn't turning but the valves are opening and closing, chances are the distributor gear is somehow wiped - and if either of these two situations is the case, you shouldn't spend much time cranking the engine till he problem is fixed because the distributor shaft drives the oil pump - distributor shaft no turn, engine no get lubrication. You've really gotta get out and check these things since randomly throwing assumptions around over the Internet isn't getting us anywhere!

Comment

If the distributor wasnt spinning, he wouldn't have spark, so I'd say its safe to rule that much out. When the cam gear fell off my car, I actually initially misdiagnosed it as a failed TFI module because it had no spark. New module, no sparkie. Had the idea to watch the rotor while cranking the engine, and it didn't rotorize.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well, considering that it's still quite unclear (at least to me) whether he's getting spark to the cylinders .....

Comment

Originally posted by Leiscustoms View Post
                              sog, we bought a brand new ignition box, and its definitly sparking better when we check,
                              Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                              Well, considering that it's still quite unclear (at least to me) whether he's getting spark to the cylinders .....
                              It wouldn't spark at all no matter where it was being checked, direct at the coil or at the cylinders if the distributor wasn't spinning.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X