No announcement yet.

GMN 20th anniversary Scottfest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have such fancy stuff, only tube receivers I own are a Fisher and a Sherwood.

I worked on a Mac receiver once, thought it sounded bad honestly. The 1900 is not exactly revered as one of their high points and I understand why. it was built well, I'll give it that much. I thought the Tandberg 2080 I worked on for the same guy was nicer to listen to.

as for salads I'm pretty much a pass on anything involving mayo and/or hard boiled eggs. Mayo is another one of those things thats best used to bake a cake.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      I don't have such fancy stuff, only tube receivers I own are a Fisher and a Sherwood.

I worked on a Mac receiver once, thought it sounded bad honestly. The 1900 is not exactly revered as one of their high points and I understand why. it was built well, I'll give it that much. I thought the Tandberg 2080 I worked on for the same guy was nicer to listen to.

as for salads I'm pretty much a pass on anything involving mayo and/or hard boiled eggs. Mayo is another one of those things thats best used to bake a cake.
      Thain I have to smile, in my bedroom is a Mac 1900, purchased as a college student back in 1972, I had to work my ass off to save up the cash ( I think $900.00) to buy it. I could have purchased a Pioneer SX-828 for just about half of that, but I wanted a McIntosh About ten years ago I had it fully restored by Terry DeWick (Mr. Mc) down in Knoxville TN), still doing yeoman service.

Comment

friend of mine gave me a 70's Onkyo, it worked for a few yrs but quit over the winter.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post

Thain I have to smile, in my bedroom is a Mac 1900, purchased as a college student back in 1972, I had to work my ass off to save up the cash ( I think $900.00) to buy it. I could have purchased a Pioneer SX-828 for just about half of that, but I wanted a McIntosh About ten years ago I had it fully restored by Terry DeWick (Mr. Mc) down in Knoxville TN), still doing yeoman service.
          Terry passed about 6 months ago. He was well known for tube gear restorations. He also did Fisher gear.

I just didn't care for the sound of it. Probably needed further work, but I was asked to clean the controls and make the AM tuner work again. I did that, but it just sounded "dark". Lots of bass, but the top end was just flat and dull.

friend of mine gave me a 70's Onkyo, it worked for a few yrs but quit over the winter.
          so long as its not a very late 70s one with an STK chip in the amp its probably fixable. The chips are very hard to get now and cost more than anything they went into is worth. I fixed one of those for someone a bunch of years ago. I remember the tuner wasn't very good. I had a mid 70s TX-4500 at one point, absolute beast of a unit, and it sounded pretty good. Sold that at some point when I replaced it with the Sherwood tube receiver.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Terry passed about 6 months ago. He was well known for tube gear restorations. He also did Fisher gear.

I just didn't care for the sound of it. Probably needed further work, but I was asked to clean the controls and make the AM tuner work again. I did that, but it just sounded "dark". Lots of bass, but the top end was just flat and dull.

so long as its not a very late 70s one with an STK chip in the amp its probably fixable. The chips are very hard to get now and cost more than anything they went into is worth. I fixed one of those for someone a bunch of years ago. I remember the tuner wasn't very good. I had a mid 70s TX-4500 at one point, absolute beast of a unit, and it sounded pretty good. Sold that at some point when I replaced it with the Sherwood tube receiver.
            Thain the death of Terry is a shock, I spoke to him about three years ago on an open reel deck situation. He was into old Fords and had a '35 Ford p/u if my memory services me correctly. He lived for many years out on Long Island (Suffolk County) sadly he was dealing with a wife who had dementia, and a son of special needs. Rest in peace old friend.

Comment

Yep.
              Debbie smited my weekend plans. Damnit.

Hopefully I'll be around to see Scottfest #21.
              If my situation changes, Sunday would be my only window to drive down.
              Have fun ya'll.
              All FORD All The Time

Comment

Hey Ye Mangs,

It was great getting back together again, and awesome seeing everybody, old and new.
                I'm looking forward to next year!

-ryan s.
                08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                Originally posted by pantera77
                Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Yeah, it was fun & good to reconnect & meet new peeps.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Thanks everyone for coming! Lord willing we will do this again in 2025.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Was definitely good to see folks again, hopefully will see you again next year

Comment

Working...
                      X