Noisey engine accessories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noisey engine accessories?

Somethin' under the hood of my 91' ain't too happy on cold start-up (and it's gettin' cold around here).
    Noisey, kinda' like a cross between power steering groan and electrical "whine".
    Goes away once warmed up.

Water pump and power steering pump both recently replaced.

Checked it out today when I started it.
    It sounds like it's on the pasenger side so I guess it's not the alternator.

I'm thinking it's the A/C compessor (bearings?) or the smog pump.
    Are these things normally noisey when they are cold?

PS- my previous 1981 CV was de-smogged and had no A/C so I have little experience with these things on a CV.
    Former panther owner
    1981 CV 351 4bbl
    1991 CV 302 EFI

Could be either... I have had TWO smog pumps replaced due to noise... sounded like they were about to self destruct. I think when they rebuild them, they NEVER replace the bearings! The A/C clutch could be starting to rattle too....

Tom....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

mine is getting a high pitched sound when cold..sounds like a belt but i dont know which
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

You can take off a belt in question and run the car a bit and listen if the sound went away or not to rule out the belt.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Could be the smog pump. I know mine now and then makes a very alien like sound.
          Actually, all my accessories seem to make a lot of noise. Standing in front of my car you can't even hear the exhaust over the general loudness of the engine.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

also if you take the belt off you can find out if it was either pulley. you don't have to put the belt back either... 3 WI winters without that damn belt on, and no problems with it. besides, you don't need a/c. you have the great 55-4x2 a/c system. roll 4 windows down, open both vent windows, drive @ 55mph...:beach:

:nightrid:
            79 ford fairmont futura 2dr Boss 347/ C4
            89 crown vic 5.0L HO AOD SD
            90 grand marq
            95 Mustang Cobra R
            67 Galaxie 500 2dr fastback R code

Comment

Alot of times, it's the idler pulley, used to adjust the a/c belt. I've had a couple take a shit on me. I found the bearing I needed on the shelf at work, so I've yet to pay for replacement . The labor to replace the idler is 1/2 hr tops, and the assy is fairly cheap. I just took the extra 10 minutes to change the bearing, because it didn't cost me anything.
              MIKE

Comment

Yup Id say eitehr A.C. Compressor or Smog pump..These cars are all about noises...Now that its getting colder out Mornin start up sometimes will be noisy..Like My power steering is noisy when its cold But thats because its cold..LOL

Speaking of noises not to thread jack..but mine is making a funky noise once in a while....Sounds like a ban Saw cutting something...?

Comment

the wierd rattly buzzy noise, mostly only in park? Its one of those AOD transmission noises, ignore it.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ok LOL...It usualy in park..or only when I step on the brakes..Weird....

Comment

one day in the winter with my defrost on, all of the sudden a smoke bomb went off under the hood, and poured in the car...AC compressor pulley seized and the rubber seal was cooken. It sounded like a squeaky belt when i used the gas then when i let off the gas it would make it go away...till she blew haha.
                      Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                      HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

That happened to my brothers caprice...Fucking belt did a burnout..LOL

Comment

Thanks for all the replies (wow). (GMN rocks!)

The car does it going down the road as well (not just in park).
                          I probably should re-check the belt tension as it does squeek for a sec on cold starts too.
                          It was more pronounced monday, probably since I didn't drive it at all sunday.
                          The more I think about it, the more I think it sounds like a bearing. (I guess)
                          It quiets down after about 5 minutes.

I was sure it was the compressor bearings tonight because after I started it I hit the defrost setting and it went away. But then it came back, so I dunno, could be coincidence. After about 5 min....a mile or so down the road it quieted down.

If I were to just pull the belt how would that affect my emmission equipment?
                          Former panther owner
                          1981 CV 351 4bbl
                          1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

If I were to just pull the belt how would that affect my emmission equipment?
                            By that I mean, will I clog my convertors or anything like that if I take the belt off that smog pump?
                            Former panther owner
                            1981 CV 351 4bbl
                            1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

haha thats exactly what happend leading up to my AC compressor "burnout" haha. she was noisy for 5 min then quieted down. If it does burn up on you, just take out the harness on your AC compressor and that will just let the pullt rotate freely. Try taking the harness off now and see if that solves your squeking problem.
                              Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                              HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Working...
                              X