Big brake swap. Progress and questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big brake swap. Progress and questions.

Ok, Im about 80% done with getting and restoring (or buying new) ALL the parts I need for my BBS. However, Im stuck on the spindles. I have 1997 spindles all stripped down, cleaned, and painted. Im ordering the 1998-2002 Hub/bearings. The old hubs/bearings were held on by a set of 4 very skinny nuts and a large washer. (see pic) It was all held together by a cage thing. I broke the cage apart and took the nuts out one at a time. What do I use to put the new hub/bearings on???? Re-use all the skinny nuts and washer??
    Here are also some pics of my progress.
    Attached Files
    Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
    Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
    Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
    Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
    sigpic

You can get those nuts new. Ford actually says to use new ones when you replace the bearing assembly. When I removed mine, I seem to recall pulling the whole cage thing in one shot. I know I didn't take anything apart and come up with multiple parts.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Almost forgot

Here is a pic of my LCA'S.
      Attached Files
      sigpic

Comment

I broke it apart. That cage connects all the nuts and large washer. If I buy a new nut, do I reuse that washer?? No that the cage is gone, the hole inside the washer is much bigger than the spindle. It wouldnt fit right.
        sigpic

Comment

I don't know. I've never seen the parts without the cage. When I removed my bearing, I just stuck a socket in there and removed it. I don't honestly recall if it was just one single nut, or if it was some assembly thing that I removed with the socket. I would go get the new nut and see what it looks like because I frankly don't remember. Its possible the nut changed at some point during those years. My spindles came off a 2000 police car.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

K, thanks mang
            sigpic

Comment

When I have all the parts Im gona do the swap. Im going to take detailed pictures as I go. I would like to put something together for the forum to use for future reference for the BBS. I have used this: http://www.grandmarq.net/85crownLX/p...ig_Brakes.html which has been a GREAT HELP. I would like to give something back to the forum for all the help I have gotten. What do yall think?
              sigpic

Comment

if its the nut im thinking of you should of taken it off on one pice with a cocket and a RACHET or breaker bar impact gun ruins it the stack of thin nuts acts as a lock nut (like double nutting) ford sells the hole thing the washer is atached

Comment

where did you get the poly pump stops??
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

advanced auto parts. they are universal
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X