3G Alt is in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3G Alt is in.

I have the 3G in and it was no big deal like you guys said. I used a 150 amp breaker, I couldn't find a fuse or a holder that they didn't want $30 for. The whole thing cost about $65 with the alt. The engine bay is dirty as it has been snowing and cold so I haven't cleaned it for a while.
    The only thing is I had to leave all the wires on the starter solenoid. If I took the 2G ring off I had no power to the car! I have a picture of it if you can make it out. The order of the wire on the solenoid is: 2G ring, new 2AGW 3G wire, battery wire, and one other one that has some kind of relay on it. I put the breaker on the left side by the alt. and ran the wire around the front like the 2G. The only wire I had to cut was the green one. The clocking is off a little, but it worked out the way I wired it. The last two pic. are of the old alt and left over wire. I'll use it to run a new ground wire.
    Attached Files
    89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

NICE so I'm assuming you just spiced a new regulator plug on right? was your 3g the small case or the large case did you had to swap brackets? install I see you ran it along the front of the header panel

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

who said it is a big deal? theyz on drugs...

You shouldnt have to leave the 2G charge wire on the solenoid... methinks you may have mixed it up or accidently left a different/additional one off. At least my 1G wiring will let the car run if you leave it off... 2G might be different.

Good work
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

It is a small case, just unbolt the old and bolt the new one in. I had to change the top bolt as the new one didn't have threads. I used the plug that came with the the 3G. It looked a lot easier to run the wire around the front.
        No I don't think I left any wires off. I just pulled the old wires off the alt., put the green ones together, and pulled the old wiring out. The wires on the solenoid are black/orange and yellow. They come together at the ring. All I know is if I take the ring off nothing works, no lights or anything.
        89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

I mean on the solenoid... black/orange and yellow are the main power supply wires for the car IIRC, so that would make sense.
          The alternator charge wires at the solenoid should be black/orange stripe once you get past the single fuse link, and I dont see it in your pic so you must have already removed it :confused: which should mean everything is good
          Last edited by 85crownHPP; 01-30-2008, 10:05 PM.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Looks really good, how do you like it so far? Get to test it with all the accessories on yet? I turned every single thing in my car on when I first started the car with the 3G and was very happy to see no flicker. I ran my wire over the engine just because the wiring is a little costly and I thought longer runs put more load on the wire. You'll be fine the way you did it given the gauge. Ford just ran the wires odd that way, one large harness with the charge cable and headlight wiring all the way around the header. The only big problem besides extra wiring is if the cable burns somewhere inside along that insanely long harness, it kills all the other wires and is a nightmare to find. For the old charge cable on the starter solenoid, it might trick you because those two black/orange wires turn into one just where they come out by the battery, that's the only one you take off (yellow is voltage sense-needs to stay). When I did the wires, I forgot that other ring with the small square metal thing on it and the car didn't start. So just that one ring terminal with black/orange output wire. I'll snap a pic of mine if it's still throwing you off. I thought leaving it connected might leave the old output wire live and pose a hazard.
            sigpic
            1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
            Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

This is a typical case of it sounds far more complicated than it really is. T
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have to agree, it sounds worse than it is. The black/orange wire starts out as two at the old alt. and is just one at the solenoid. I pulled the old wiring plug on the left side and taped it up. I drove it home last night and back to work today. It was dark both times and it worked like it should. Hell the car even seems to run better. With everything on the it shows 13.5 volts and didn't drop and the lights didn't dim.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally Posted by Glen
                  The only thing is I had to leave all the wires on the starter solenoid. If I took the 2G ring off I had no power to the car!

Upgrading the '91 MGM CP

I was looking @ the harness yesterday, the large plug harness seems to have a white/red wire that goes to a 4 wire plug it seems to be related to the big bk/or wires. I got tired of standing in the rain before I unwrapped the harness to see where it came from. It has w/b, w/r, bk/or, & brn (maybe orange) wires coming out of it. If I disconnect it, what happens????

I don't want the bk/or wires hanging around & anticipated removing them.

I want to use an Expedition alt harness that I recently liberated.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Some of the later cars have more than just the alternator wiring on that particular ring. The only things going to the alternator are 2 black/orange and I think a yellow/white, or maybe its solid yellow for the battery sense. If you've got more wires, you'll probably have to do a little wire shuffling to keep them connected so stuff works.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                    X