Seafoam..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seafoam..

This should be a sticky, because this stuff gets misused a lot...I found it on the full size chevy forum.

Here is an email about how to use sea foam when I inquired how to use the stuff from one of seafoam's sales rep.

If you are NOT completely knowledgeable of the processes professional technicians use to clean carbon out of the upper cylinders quickly, DO NOT ATTEMPT to, JUST PUT Sea Foam into the fuel tank and allow the cleaning of the upper cylinders to be done AS YOU DRIVE! One ounce per gallon of gasoline works best, for about 2 tanks of fuel. As Sea Foam itself can not cause any damage to your engine, improper application can!

If you are technically able, and knowledgeable:

Sea Foam distributes to all cylinders best when SLOWLY poured directly "down the throttle" of a TBI system (NOT EFI) or a carburetor, and with the engine at operating temperature and at IDLE, or slightly above, then shut down the engine and allow to "heat soak" for about 10 minutes MINIMUM, then drive aggressively until all carbon smoke clears. Do not attempt this if you have an EFI system with runner mounted injectors, or if you do not understand what you are doing!

Your other option is to find a vacuum line (like a pcv or brake booster) that feeds ALL CYLINDERS, and SLOWLY POUR your Sea Foam directly into that vacuum source with engine running and at full operating temperature. This line HAS TO BE as close to the throttle body as is possible. Install all product, then shut down, as above.

Do Not insert ANY vacuum line into the Sea Foam Product container to install Sea Foam, YOU WILL DAMAGE YOUR ENGINE when too much product enters your engine TOO QUICKLY!
    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

So, that's what I've been saying for a long time. We had similar stuff at JL and it had a canister with a tube and orifice (like an IV drip) to meter the amount that was sucked into the motor.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Uh oh ... when I did the CV I poured one and a half cans into the fuel tank, sucked half a can in the brake booster, and dumped one can in the oil. Changed oil after it ran for a short time. Will probably have to do another oil change on the CV to be safe, eh? Haven't put shit for miles on the CV since I did this, either.

Comment

Good way to kill the cats and hydrolock the motor.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Well, I'll definitely do an oil change this weekend and run that tank of fuel through it if I get the chance. Could use a nice little cruise this weekend.

Comment

3 cans? Holy shit dude...
            '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
            '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Who on here has used this Seafoam stuff, and what were the results?

I've previously used Restore or Lucas in the oil, and regular fuel system cleaner in the fuel tank.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Shit, I been feeling it throught the vac lines, more than once

Oh well, it continues to work well
                1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Humm, I sip it slowly tru the brake booster line. According to that i been doing mine juuust fine :-P...

By chance whats the damege it can do to a engine?
                  People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

Originally posted by darkknight View Post
                    Humm, I sip it slowly tru the brake booster line. According to that i been doing mine juuust fine :-P...

By chance whats the damege it can do to a engine?
                    Hydrolock. Engines compress usually compress the air (and the atomized fuel) every time on the compression stroke. This is fine and dandy because gases (as in state, not gasoline) compress. Liquids don't compress and by adding too much Seafoam at once, you'd end up with liquid Seafoam in the cylinder. Liquid in the cylinder + compression stroke = bent rods and other carnage.
                    1990 Country Squire - under restoration
                    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
                    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                      Liquids don't compress and by adding too much Seafoam at once, you'd end up with liquid Seafoam in the cylinder.
                      Which area is it too much to add to for causing hydrolock? Vac, fuel tank, or crankcase? Would 1 1/2 cans of Seafoam in a full tank even be an issue?

Comment

Originally posted by monterey1962 View Post
                        Which area is it too much to add to for causing hydrolock? Vac, fuel tank, or crankcase? Would 1 1/2 cans of Seafoam in a full tank even be an issue?
                        Vacuum. Fuel or crankcase wouldn't matter as far as hydrolocking is concerned.

And FWIW, you'd know immediatly if you hydrolocked it. As I said before, hydrolock = carnage.
                        1990 Country Squire - under restoration
                        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
                        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Hmm ... I did drive the CV to work for a full week after doing the whole seafoam thing. Never had any issues. It's been sittin' in storage about two weeks now. Hope it's all good and clear.

Comment

I just used this stuff on my F150. Put 1/3 can in through the booster line, and the rest of the can in the tank. It wasn't a miracle cure or anything, but it definetly smoothed out the overal engine "attitude".

Can much bad happen, if you are unable to do the "aggressive driving" step of the instructions? Immediately after adding the Seafoam, and letting her sit, was when I blew out the brake line, and the truck sat for a week.

The Admiral

Comment

Revv the fuck outta it, that's what I do - puts out quite the smoke show, and all crap is gone

Comment

Working...
                              X